sign Hempstead




Village History
 

Forge
what3words location - ///brotherly.arena.thudding

3Jul2020

The first mention of Hempstead Forge is in White's Directory of 1836 and the last time is in Kelly's Directory of 1937, although the forge was almost certainly in operation before 1836 and possibly after 1937.

Blacksmiths
John Daglass
1836
John Daglass
1845
John Dagless
1854
Robert Turner
1854
Alfred Graveling - and shoemaker
1864
Noah Harrison
1879
Noah Harrison
1883
Thomas Charles Baker - and ironmonger
1890
Thomas Charles Baker - and ironmonger
1892
Thomas Charles Baker - and ironmonger
1896
Frederick Bartell
1916
Frederick Bartell
1922
Frederick Bartell
1925
Frederick English
1929
Frederick English
1933
Frederick English
1937

1890 - Thomas Charles Baker - ironmonger and blacksmith, living in Holt
1892 - Thomas Charles Baker - blacksmith and at Holt, Fakenham and Sherringham
1896 - Thomas Charles Baker - blacksmith and at Holt, Fakenham and Sherringham
1937 - Albert. J. Roy dairyman, The Forge

O. S. Map 1885
O. S. Map 1885
Courtesy of NLS map images

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. Please or telephone 07836 675369

Website copyright © Jonathan Neville 2020
Top of Page