sign Hempstead

Contacts
Wildlife



Village Time Line

Village Activities & Inhabitants
1875 to 2018
compiled by Geoffrey Harris

INTRODUCTION

This paper started as “Extracts from the Minutes of the Village Hall Committee” to show Hall activities, but now includes information on village activities and inhabitants as given in the Parish Newsletter including entries from notes made by the Reverend A.M. Auden (1933 - 1944) as well as from other sources.

Generally the event takes place during the month given, but there are occasions when the month relates to the date of issue of a Newsletter. Regular events are not given every month. [Any errors are mine]

The Minutes for the meetings by the “1937 Coronation Committee” are given at the end, rather than in that year.

=====================

1875
30th March - Annual tea meeting at the close of the Night School held. Prizes of books and writing cases were awarded.
Prize winners were John Risborough, Herbert Pointer, Alfred Pointer and James Pointer.
1st July - Annual sermon for C.M.S. (Christian Missionary Society) preached the Rev M Randall, Vicar of Langham. Collection £1-15-10¼d.
19th July- Sunday School and Teachers (74) conveyed in waggons lent by Mr Ling, Mr Beckett and Mr Overton to Cromer.
22nd July - Annual tea for church choir in a barn lent by Mr Ling.
7th October - Clothing Club had 49 members. There was a Sunday School 'Penny bank' - 66 children paying in.

1876
20th March - Prize winners of Night School were John Risborough; Charles Riches; Alfred Money; Samuel Harrison; Alfred Je???
May The Rudd Memorials
Given by the Rev Rudd in memory of his three brothers - Stained glass window at east end of church in memory of Captain John Trohear Rudd (59th Regiment) who died 27 June 1875;
and James Sutterwaite Rudd, late Lieut 32nd Light Infantry, Sub-Lieut R.N. who died 7 August 1866
and William Frederick John Rudd, Lieut-Colonel Royal Scots who died 13 August 1868
- work executed by W.C. Constable FSA of Cambridge.
Carved Reredos, brass lectern and brass chandeliein memory of Jane Rudd who died 11 August 1882.
18th May - Special collection in church for heating apparatus - £12-14-0d
19th May - First brick for the Vicarage was laid by the Vicar. The bricks were reputedly made from clay dug on the spot. (Could also have been taken from the marl pit close to Marlpit cottages.)
A supply of roast beef and plum pudding was provided for the brick makers and workmen in the evening.
Architect J.P. Pearse of Norwich and Builder R. Cornish of North Walsham.
The Vicarage was erected by voluntary subscriptions during the incumbency of the Rev T.W. Whistler. (He did not become Vicar until 1890 - 14 yrs later) Source is the Parish Newsletter
11th September - Sunday School treat in barn adjoining the Vicarage. Games in the field in front of the vicarage.


1877
An infants school was erected by public subscription supported by a voluntary rate.
October - A room capable of holding 80 people has just been erected by public subscription. It is built of stone and red brick and has a neat appearance. The want has been long felt in the parish of a building which would answer the two-fold purpose of an Infant's School and Parish Room. Mr Weston of Holt is the builder.

1881
Hempstead had 248 inhabitants and comprises of 1756 acres of land including 100 acres of woods. Rateable value £276. John Henry Gurney is Lord of the Manors of Hempstead Netherhall and Losehall and owner of a great part of the soil, but the Marquis of Lothian, S. Mott and Hugh Rump and some others have estates here.

1898
Church ceiling repaired at a cost of £20 and match-boarding put up.
Open pews substituted for box pews. font, screen, reredos, pulpit by the Rudd family..
19th November - Queen Ann tea service presented to Miss Isadore Beckett on her marriage to Mr George Ling.

1899
Aylmerton Cross repaired.
19th August - Gertrude Ann Ling married to Cecil Callow, Farmer of Runton.
Collection made for soldiers widows and orphans in the Boer War - £6-5-9d.

1900
25th August - First outing of children to Sherringham by kindness of Miss Smith, temporary tenant of the vicarage.

1901
A new Estey organ took the place of the old harmonium.

1902
June King Edward VII Coronation celebrated by tea for the whole Parish. Sports and cricket match and bonfire.
About £26 was raised - 200 sat down in the barn lent by Mr Ling - 70 children had tea at 4.30 and adults at 6 p.m.

1904
July 14th - Sunday School children had their annual treat at the Vicarage.

1905
12th July - Sunday School children had their annual treat in the Vicarage grounds.
19th August - Mrs Frances Williams staying at the vicarage invited the Sunday school children to tea.
13th November - Reading Room re-opened - Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays.

1906
22nd January - Presentation of gold chain and travelling clock to Miss Beckett for playing the harmonium for 16 years and doing much other church work.
1st August - Annual Sunday School treat at the Vicarage.
4th October - Harvest Festival collection for the enlargement of the churchyard - £1:9:3¼d. This enlargement was onsecrated by the Bishop of Thetford on November 21st. It was formed of a portion of the glebe and ground given by Mr J.H. Gurney - collection at Service £11-15-0d. Procession made around the ground. Some £50 or £60 still to be raised.
December - It was afterwards found that the expenses amounted to £48-14-10d towards which £15-5-0d had been received.

1907
Harvest collection - £1-13-0d.
24th October - Jumble sale raised £12-0-0d.

1908
March The Reading Room roof was repaired.

1912
26th - 27th Augusth During what should have been the height of summer, there was a tremendous storm when seven inches of rain fell in just over 24 hours. Rivers broke their banks; properties and people were swept away and the harvest ruined. The Glaven overflowed and the road at the Mill washed away.

1919
PCCs were created by the Rules for the Representation of the Laity scheduled to the Constitution of the former National Assembly of the Church of England (or Church Assembly), which was adopted by the Convocations of Canterbury and York in 1919 . (Wikipedia)

1924
There was a bowls team within the village and would play on the small field between the churchyard and the side wall of the ‘Old Vicarage’. A photo is on file with some players identified.

1926
The first record of a village hall at Hempstead is in a Minute Book recording the general meeting of the parishioners held on 23rd September 1926 when rules for the conduct of the village hall were drawn up, and Trustees appointed.
By this time, the Hempstead Womens’ Institute was already in existence and using the hall. The Fees charged were: For hire to a Political party or private party - £1.0.0
Public Hire by parishioners raising funds for local charity etc. - 10/-
Plus 5/- for hire of piano; 3/- use of crockery, lights and oil.
The Hall finances received 18/- cash from Hempstead Football Club.
The Hall spent £1:12:6d on paraffin oil for heating. And bought six chairs for 3/- each.

1927
3 tons of gravel were bought for 18/-
Whist drives and dances were held on a regular basis.
The W.I. is mentioned for the first time - paying rent to use the hall at 5/- per meeting.

1928
A gate and guttering were fitted for £8.1.0d
The piano was repaired.
At the beginning of 1928 a Lease was drawn up between the Landlord (Mr Richard Claude HardyY of 21b, Devonshire Street, London and the Trustees (thereafter named Tenants) namely Revd Paul Roger Cleave, Clerk in Holy Orders; John Hagan, Farmer; Edward Adamson Collier, farmer; Hary Albert Kemp, plumber; Sydney Riseborough, Hotel proprietor; Frank Cheney, farm worker; Albert Roy, milkman; and John Everett esquire, all of Hempstead.
The Lease was to run for 99 years
Item 3(3) of the Lease required the Tenants to erect forthwith ‘at the cost of at least £220 in labour and materials only, a Village Hall with offices, outbuildings .... in accordance with the plans ..... and specifications .... approved by the Landlords Architect ... for immediate occupation before the 10th December 1920.’
Item 3(9) of the Lease requires that at the end of the lease the Tenants shall ‘ surrender up to the Landlord the land .... together with the Village Hall ..... together with all Landlords fixtures...’
The date of the lease and requirement to build implies the erection of a new village hall. The hall was said to be an ex-army WWI wooden hut.
The Hall Committee Minute Books are in existence; entries are short and the ‘year’ was usually omitted from any date entered.

1930
The Hall had a kitchen - probably detached from the hall - as in 1930 repairs were requested to the ‘roof between the Hall and kitchen where the rain blows in’. At this meeting it was also decided to pay the Hall caretaker - Mrs West - the sum of £1.0.0d per annum.
July - It was proposed and accepted that Mr Davidson’s estimate for building on a kitchen to the hall be accepted. The work to start at once. Cash book records are available, but no mention is made of the cost of this kitchen.
November- At the AGM Mrs Kemp resigned as Librarian; the first time this post is mentioned. She was persuaded to remain.

1931
Shows a change in committee - the Minute Book is written in a different hand, and the Minutes are very short or non-existent.

1932
The sum of 3/- was received from the Coroner - what happened?  
There was a “Billy” Roy who committed suicide by shooting during the 30's. Apparently over a young lady who had gone to a dance with another man, instead of ‘Billy’.
Thought to be William A. Roy, baptised 22 June 1913 to Arthur George Roy and Eva (née Gray).
Death Registered March quarter 1932.
Mantles were purchased for the petrol lamps - at the same time there is a debit for ‘aviation fuel’ presumably for the light lamps.
Proposed to have the words ‘Hempstead Village Hall’ painted on the front in old English lettering
3rd November - The name Capt Mee appeared for the first time in the report of the A.G.M. and he was elected onto the Committee, together with Miss L. Hicks; Mr Doy; Mr Kemp; Mr A. Roy; Mr Arthur Roy; and Mr Albert Roy. The two librarians were Mrs Kemp and Miss Hicks.
5th December - Mr Albert Roy proposed that ‘Committee purchase drums from Captain Mee for £5.10.0d to be the property of Hempstead Village Hall. The Orchestra to give one entertainment each year for hall funds. The orchestra to have free use of drums of other engagements. When doing so they must be responsible for drums. The charge not to be excused 4 four shillings per head (20p) when playing for Hall funds.

1934
Rope was purchased for the flag staff (2/3d) - where was it installed?

1935
The Forge - The last horse was shod in 1935. The last blacksmith was a Mr Bartell. It has now been converted into a garage for the cottage.
The Elected Committee fo the Village Hall were : Capt Mee; Mr Arthur Roy; Mr Albert Roy; Rev Auden; Mr J. Hagen;
Mr J. Whitton; Mr Buchan; Miss L. Hicks.
Mr Buchan was appointed band secretary.
11th March - There is now a Jubilee Committee; they made a grant of 10/- (50p) for decorations to be displayed in the hall.
7th October - John Hagan died just after the Jubilee celebrations. The Committee sent their sympathy to Mr D.W. Hagan.
A new stage was built at £8.12.10½d
Obviously the many whist drives held had a good attendance - 20 new packs of cards were purchased for 14/2d.

1936
January - The caretaker (never mentioned before) received a salary of £1.10.0d.
Committee: Mr J. Hagen, Chairman; Capt Mee Vice-Chairman; Secretary Mr S. Risborough; and Mrs C. Baker; Mrs D.W. Hagean; Mrs Buchan; Mr W. Whitton; Mr Albert Roy; Mr B. Dan; Mr Kemp; Mr Doy. The caretaker was Mrs R. West and the Librarian Miss L. Hicks.
15th May -The Coronation Social made a profit of £1.11.0d.
1936 See separate report at the end for details of the Coronation Committee and the events held to celebrate.

1937
In the 1930's the milkman from Baconsthorpe - a Mr Allard with his horse-drawn milk float would come down to Hempstead with at least two big churns and the measures in his float. (Diana Spalton remembers in April 2012 Newsletter)
Annual rent for W.I. increased from 25/- to 35/- per annum (£1.25p to £1.75p)

1939-1945 war
Use of the Old Schoolroom as a Men's Reading Room was discontinued and the rooms used as a Red Cross Centre.
Later was also discontinued.
The building had not been used as a school since c.1891
Notes on the school - When aged 94 years of age, Mrs Ward recounted her memories of the school, where she started at the age of 3 years. Each child had to take 2d per week. The Flower Show held in conjunction with the annual W.I. Fete was held in the old school-room. It was used once a week for the children's 'Monday Meeting'. Mission Hall workers from Barningham Parva came out working for the Friends Evangelistic Band. (They formerly met in the Methodist Chapel).
PCC and Mother Union meetings are also held in the old schoolrooms.
The room no longer covered by Vicarage Dilapidations.

1939
During the early years of the war, a curfew was imposed on village residents (either 9pm or 10pm) and often a Policeman would be stationed at Court Green to check - but villagers could easily find other routes into the village. (Diana Spalton)
September - The 1939 Register was taken. A list (Census) was take from every inhabitant for the purpose of issuing Identity Cards and without those cards, a person could not obtain a Ration Book. This Register is available for inspection through “Find My Past” Webb site. Full names and dates of birth are given. It was updated and when a female was married, her married name was inserted.
30th October - a new committee for 1939-40 were elected. Chairman, Capt Mee; vice chairman Rev Auden; Sec & Treasurer Mr S.A. Riseborough; and Mrs Watson-Cook; Mrs A. Roy; Mrs L. Doy; Mrs C. Doy; Mr J. Hagen; Mr Wilson; Mr J. Roy; Mr D.W. Hagen.
No mention is made of the war! Apart from making arrangements for black-out. Back-out material was purchased from Byfords for 7/6d.
8th December - Christmas parcels were purchased for £3.30.0d (for troops or villagers - not previously mentioned.)
6th December - Proposed that a grant of 10/- per head for Christmas parcels for those men of the village serving in his Majesty’s Forces. (5/- of cigarettes plus 5/- order)

1940
25th June - Mr S. Riseborough to act as Salvage Officer for the village
25th June -. Mr J. Hagen granted 26/- from Hall funds for Wardens Service.

1941
1st March - The Home Guard paid £2.2.0d to hire the hall for the first time - regularly hired for the remainder of the war
The army and RAF were also shown as hiring the hall on occasions.
31st March 1941 - Committee - Rev A Auden; Vice Chairman Mr J. Wilson; Sec & Treas Mr S.G. Risborough
Committee: Mrs T Cheney; Mrs A. Roy; Mrs L. Doy; Mrs C. Doy; Mr J. Everett; Mr D.W. Hagen; Mr A. Roy.
1939/45 Between December 1939 and April 1946 only six meetings of the Committee were Minuted.

1945 - 1950
Estate Carpenters Shop Ceased to function in 1945. The last head carpenter was a Mr B. Dann.
The buildings converted to a private bungalow in 1947.
194? Methodist Chapel
The Chapel was erected in 1896, seating 10 persons. The congregation having dwindled to a very small number, the Methodist Circuit sold the roof timbers and window frames and furniture in 194? [for use in a new Memorial Chapel in Beeston Regis]. A well was sunk and the remains of the building converted into a cottage known as 'Hill House'.
(NB - after it became a dwelling, it was used as an holiday home by an American family, then family named Slade (said to have connection to Trade Union - may have been a Sir) - then Dr McCloud from Holt Surgery, and ...) See Entry for November 1912 when members of the American family returned for a visit)

1946
25th April - An emergency General Meeting was held with Mrs Watson-Cook in the chair.
During the following year, there followed a number of committee meetings with efforts being made towards raising funds for the Hall. These included whist drives; a house to house collection; . The drums were offered for sale.
1946 - The hire of the hall for whist drives and by the W.I. were mentioned for the first time since the early part of the war.
The Cricket Club is mentioned for the first time - hiring the hall. The Cricket Club does not appear in the accounts any more.

1947
17th November - The committee were still raising funds and estimates were obtained for repairs to the hall.

1948
Funds were so short that the committee could not pay insurance premiums nor provide fire buckets.
Up to this time, the minutes are very sparse and poorly kept. However ......

1949
From the general meeting on October 24th 1949 matters changed for a while.
24th October - Resolution that passed “that this meeting wishes to pass a hearty vote of thanks for Mr S. Risborough’s work in connection with the hall for the last eighteen years”
Committee elected for following year - Chairman Mr J. Hagen; Vice-chairman - Mr W. Wyer; Secretary Mrs S Scarfe;
Mrs Wilson; Mr S Risborough; Mrs Watson-Cook; Mr H. Mack; Mr G. Doy; Mr Smithson; Mr V. Du-mosch; Mr R Baker;
Mr T Whisken; Mr C Platford; Caretaker - Mrs G Doy.

1950
2nd May - First mention that estimates for the installation of electric light be obtained from Mr Randall, North Walsham;
Mr Cooke, Holt and the Eastern Electricity Board.
31st May - The estimate for the installation of electric light in the Hall was accepted from Mr L Clarke of Holt
Sept - the accounts show a charge of £17.00 for ‘electric light wiring’.

1951
3rd April - The annual General meeting was held, and the following were elected as Committee:
Chairman - Mr J. Hagen; Vice Chairman - Mr W. Wyer; Mr G. Doy and Mr Power were both proposed and seconded as Secretary - tellers were appointed and Mr F. Power was elected as Secretary.
Committee members were: Mr Risborough; Mr H. Mack; Mr G. Doy; Mrs J. West; Miss W-Cooke; Mrs Wilson; Mrs G. Doy; Mrs W. Cooke.
31st April - Mr Risborough proposed ‘that we do not wish to purchase the piece of land on which the Hall stands. This was seconded by Mr H. Mack. (The Minutes do not record if a vote was taken, nor any result!)

1952
8th February - Mr Risborough suggested the Village Hall be handed over to the Parish Council for upkeep. Mr G. Doy made an amendment that the Secretary and Chairman be elected to carry on until a meeting could be called to sound the parishioners on this subject.

1953
The ‘Village Sign’ outside the hall was manufactured by Eric Stevenson of Hoveton. [Mr Stevenson manufactured the famous gates at Sandringham for which he won the only gold medal up to then presented by the Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths.]

1962
The 'White Horse' public house was sold by the brewery and converted into a house called' Wayside'.

1975
The usage of the hall had dwindled so far that abandonment was suggested. The building was sound, though the roof leaked and the buckets [toilets!] smelt.

1976
David Durst, Marlpits, Marlpits Lane, Hempstead elected as Treasurer. By then, the roof had been repaired and flush toilets installed. In 1976, the building was rewired and electric heaters replaced the coke fed stove.

1977
Jubilee year. Activity in the hall increased and some furnishings updated.

1978
Toilets were modernised.

1980
August - the earliest copy of the Village Newsletter dated August 1980. It was compiled by Sally Edwards and Margaret Durst. Sally and her husband ‘Snowy’ lived in the old ‘White Horse Inn’. The Newsletter consisted of one A4 page and I thought the heading worthy of being copied here.

HVN

August - Newsletter item reports that “Despite the horrific weather, the Village Hall now has half a new roof as planned. More money must be raised before the other half can be attacked." The team include John Coe, Jack Parfitt, Alfred Roberts, Cyril King, Stan Sewell and David Durst.
An Auction is planned for October in aid of church and hall funds.
April Cheque stub for April indicates J Coe was paid £10.00 for ‘roof work’ and another in July shows £208 was spent on ‘roof material’.

1981
By now, half the roof had been re-decked by volunteer labour and completed in 1983.
February Architect’s report on the Church received - the tower needs repair to its leaded roof and to brickwork.

1982
A Barbecue was held for the first time, and this became an annual event.

September An estimate was received for the supply (from Jewson) of 24 gauge galvanized sheets (used for cladding the hall) at a cost of £287. A supply was ordered on the 1st October, and delivered at the beginning of December. The final invoiced cost was £370.62. In January 1983 a pencil note indicates that a different profile was delivered to that ordered. Jewson agreed to collect excess. A Credit of £87.27 was received. An invoice for 2 x dressed chickens purchased from Mr R. Picken (£9.75) is endorsed “gratuities to J. Coe & J. Parfitt for Hall roof work”.

1984
Repairs to kitchen and outside paintwork. Between 1983 and 1984 a great deal of work was carried out on the kitchen and hall. Maintenance; external work and kitchen refurbishment totalled some £590.
25 Poly-prop brown chairs were purchased for £172.50 from Powleys of Foulsham.

1985
Between 1985 and 1988 the Youth Community Programme lads did the inside and outside paintwork and sanded the floor. Materials hired and purchased for sanding and sealing the floor cost £161 from Blythe and Wright in Nov 85.
First Public Entertainment Licence obtained for the hall.
February AC Leigh (Security) Ltd provided 2 x emergency lights; fire blanket and 1 4.5 kg dry powder fire extinguisher - for £149 In July new guttering was installed - £90.00 In November, Thirtle of Bodham supplied and fixed emergency door etc - £437.

1986
20 brown poly-prop chairs from Powleys Office Furniture @ 7.75 = £155.00
March The Fire Service commented that the fire extinguishers were to be seen annually by a competent person - this was done.
A further 25 brown pp chairs @ 7.50 from Powleys = £193.75

1987
Invoice (first?) From Home & Office Fire Extinguishers Ltd for annual service @ £8. (2 x DP & 1 x GW)
June To installing electrical supply to water heaters etc £156
July Colin Mathews fit and supply two hand-wash heaters. £138.00

1988
The rotten windows were replaced - £454.00
October - Powleys Office Furniture. 6 x 2'6" tables @ £23.00. = £158.70
November - New Curtains - no invoice. £180 + £30 for curtain rail.
December - Malcolm Power to installing power point for cooker; new 6-way consumer unit; RCCB device and bringing installation up to standard - £199.00. [cooker costing about £199 from Eastern Electricity]

1989

May. External floodlight supplied & fitted @ £80 by Malcolm Power
April 4 x new tables £96 - paid to H. Hart.
August - supply of bitumen paint & silver-coat from Ayton Asphalte, Wymonham = £58.00
Item in Balance sheet states £258 for roof painting. No invoice found.
November Purchased 25 chairs at £8.25 each = £206.25 from Powley Office Furniture.

1990
April side path to emergency door; ramp and step. K Carter, builder, Weybourne. £265.

1991
February 21st - Appointment of New Trustees. Many of the original Trustees had died

Further rotten window-frame replacement together with extensive work under the kitchen floor. Paraffin heaters having been forbidden, a new electric space heating system installed.
Barbecue tent made to requirements £60.00

1992
New set of ‘General Rules’ adopted by Village Hall Committee

Mr K and Mr D Power - extensive repairs to kitchen floor. Digging out soil, removing old bricks etc; re-laying brickwork. 3 x windows & 1 x door replaced and repairs soakway etc £1,709.
April - new door mat @ £19.90.

1993
Regulations called for the installation of a wash-hand basin in the kitchen. This led to the installation of a new hot water system suitable for all hand basins and sinks. The loading on the electrical supply has by now approached its permitted limit. Water Heater - £287.00
Mr Vic Crocker of ‘Thistledown’, Chapel Lane, Hempstead takes over as Treasurer from Mr David Durst w/e April.
June - Coffee morning at Hempstead Hole Farm; 10am to noon. Usual stalls. Proceeds to the Churches.
1993 June - 3rd & 17th and July 1st - whist drives.
June 19th - Annual Fete on the playing field and Flower Show in the Church. To be opened by Mrs Diana Spalton. (Fete raised £595)
July - 1st & 15th - whist drives
August 4th & 18th - All invited to Hempstead Church to practice singing psalms and hymns - not sing-along.
August 5th; 19th & Sept 1st - whist drives.
August 7th - Vicky Hicks held a mini-fete at Lynwood House for the Big C. £300 raised.
September 2nd & 16th - whist drives.
September 4th - Bar-B-Q with licensed bar, Tony Bryant Trio raffle and tombola. Tickets £4
September. Lease of Village Hall, held by Barclays Bank, Holt was withdrawn and handed into the safe custody of Robin West, The Bungalow, The Meadow, Hempstead. (Withdrawal as Bank notified their intention to charge £5.87 (inc VAT) per quarter.
October 7th & 21st - whist drives.
November. M Power. To supply four dimplex fan heaters @ £82 each (£385.40) plus installation etc £466.
November 4th & 18th - whist drive.
November 6th - Malcolm Freegard to show films from the Anglian Archives. Admission £1.
‘Kneeler Ladies of Hempstead’ thanked all who helped proved 30 new kneelers for the church.
Robbie West calls for volunteers to sell tickets for the ‘Great Christmas Draw’.
December 2nd & 16th - whist drives.
December 11th - Evening of Christmas Carols and other festive music sung by the Western Singers. Christmas Draw also took place.
December - It was announced that the Mothers Union has been disbanded after nearly 60 years. - there was a wake in the Rectory at Baconsthope followed by a Communion Service.

1994
December. Timber treatment to whole of hall - £979.
Floor covering to kitchen. £90.00

1995
Chairman - Mrs M Williams; Secretary - Mr G Harris (on resignation of Mrs Betty Hart); Treasurer - Mr V Crocker.
Work by Mr Rudd, Baconsthorpe. Replacing water damaged soffit boards and painting, etc; cleaning down and decorating toilets and kitchen ... £601

1996
March. Lino fitted to toilets by Richardsons of Cromer - £140.00
April. Electrical work by M Power - new light to gate; repair broken floodlight; supply and fit time switch to gate. £155.00
December 26th - the death is recorded of Sally Levete of White Horse Cottages - the wife of Michael.

1997
June - Purchase of new catering boiler from Loose’s of Norwich. £114.00
Two Churchwardens staves presented by Betty Hart in Memory of her husband Harry
Jean and David Smith moved in “Four Elms”. This was the home of John Hagen who has moved into a Nursing Home in Gorleston
Claudine Fuller and John Hagen resigned from the Parish Council. Clauding had served for 21 years and John for since 1951.
May - David Durst reported that after some months of silence our church bell had been repaired and replaced. The failure was in one of the iron straps which hold the bell into the headstock; all the wrought iron fittings had to be replaced. Whilst dismantled, all the moving parts were looked at, and numerous minor repairs effected. The initial delay arose because it was suggested that we should also drill out and replace the “crown staple” which is the cast in wrought iron loop on which the clapper hangs. In general this is the commonest cause of sudden bell fracture; it arises due to the different materials and cumulative rusting. We argued that in this case the risks while doing the extra work were just as great as those to be guarded against and eventually we prevailed.
Our bell was made by William Brend of Norwich in 1599. We know that the tower fell down in 1725, and scrap bells were sold to pay for repairs. One bell was retained, but in 1743 that was sold, probably because it too was cracked. The tower rebuild was commemorated by a stone in 1744, and we presume that our present bell was then bought second-hand. Origin unknown.
June Alan and Elizabeth Beck move into Yew Tree Cottage.
Hog Roast at Village Hall on 7th June.
Charlie Doy died 26 th May aged 62 years.
Nellie Everitt died in Pine Tree Nursing home aged 91 years.
August 3rd - Fete - £1106 raised
September The Kneeler Group purchased an electric urn and beakers for the church.
Nov 22nd - Shepherd’s Pie supper at Green Farm in aid of Hempstead Playground. £3 courses and wine for £6 raised £270.Ethel West died 26 th October 1997 aged 94 yrs.

1997
February Purchased ........... wooden trestle tables from St Johns Hall £80.00
February 21st - ‘Dine at Dorothy’s.’ in aid of Playground. 3 courses for £6. £227 raised.
Kit Seaman of Becketts Farm died 9th February.
Proposal made for the “Hempstead Millennium Embroidery” to celebrate the year 2000.
May - The death of John Hagan aged 88 years was recorded. He was born at Hole Farm; after schooling at Greshams he left the village to study as a land agent. He lived for a short while at Pine Farm before moving to Green Farm. He served as a Churchwarden and Parish Councillor for many years. He took over the E.R.D.C. seat in 1936 from his grandfather and represented Hempstead until the Council changed to the N.R.D.C.
16th May - Claudine Fuller died aged 81. Claudine was born in the village and spent her whole life here. She was a member of the Parish Council; the Village Hall Committee and the Parochial Church Council for many years. She played the church organ for over 60 years.
May Hog Roast - 23rd May. Hailed as the best ever!.
August - Welcome to Dee and Keith Fell who moved into Lodge Cottage.
August Village Fete - raised £1710,
September The death of Iris Doy aged 87 was recorded. She spent her life in the village. During WWII her husband was a Japanese POW, and she worked in the bakery at Hempstead Mill.

1999
March Keith Fell took over as Editor of the Newsletter
May - Death of Robert Mack of Court Green recorded. He has lived in Hempstead since 1935. A member of the T.A. he was called up at the beginning of the war and served throughout Europe with the Royal Engineers. On demob he set up as an agricultural contractor and his plant would be parked on Court Green. An excellent modeller in wood
June - Hog Roast was a sell out showing a profit of £300 which will go towards painting the Hall and replacing the grass at the entrance with paving and gravel.
July - Margaret and David Durst made new hanging lamps for the Church; the money for them was given by Michael Levete in memory of his wife Sally.
15th August - James Pearse of the Knoll died aged 77 yrs.
August An excellent “Pimms and Pate” event was held on the 3rd July at Hole Farm by permission of Robin and Rose Carver and was organised by Celia Harmer of Green Farm. Over 80 people enjoyed the pate and puddings and with the raffle some £1,160 was raised for Care 2000.
15th August - Annual fete, with the church being decorated with flowers and a display of church vestments and tapestry. £1,175 raised to benefit the Church and Village Hall
28th August - “Big ‘C’” Fete at Lynwood House. £620 raised.
11th October - at the meeting of the Parish Council Henry Mack was presented with a pewter tankard in recognition of his service during 50 years as a Councillor.
16th November - Sally Edwards of ‘Wayside’ died after a long illness.
14th December - The Christmas Get-together was held.
31st December - A New Year Eve party to be held in the Village Hall

2000
New cupboards constructed in Hall. Mr Fell £37
March - “Dine with Dorothy” at Village Hall. Proceeds to Papworth Hospital. £632 raised towards the new cardiac unit.
May - Village Hall Committee now: Mr T Dennet Chairman; Mr R West Vice-Chairman; Mr G Harris Secretary; and Mrs E Beck Treasurer
Whist Drives - for many years the whist drives have been a monthly feature of Village Hall activities. With interest on the decline, a ‘learn to play’ evening will be held on the 19th June.

8th July - A summer Bar-B-Q will be held at the home of Alan and Elizabeth Beck in aid of the playing field upkeep. £334.80 raised.
22nd July - ‘Big C’ Garden Fete at Lynwood House. £420 raised.
13th August - Fete held on the playing field. The church was decorated and an exhibition of “Hempstead through the Ages” was held. £2,000 raised.
The Millennium Tapestry has been finished and will be blessed by the Rector after the morning service on the 6th August. This will hang on the rail at the back of the church.
19th August - Ann and Mike Culverwell celebrated their Golden Wedding and many family and friends joined them for a celebration lunch at Pinewood Banqueting Suite.
September Grass and earth removed from front of hall, and replaced with patio slabs. Drains cleared; new drain covers fitted etc. Committee Labour = Messrs Dennett; Fell and Harris.
September - Chairman - Mr T. Dennett; Secretary - Mr K. Fell; Treasurer - Mr G. Harris.
14th October - “Bangers and Mash meal at Village.
A “History of Hempstead” has been compiled by Robin Carver of Hole Farm. Available at £10 and all proceeds to the Church Buildings Trust.
The “Sponsored Cycle Road” in aid of the Norfolk Churches Trust and the Hempstead Church raised £440.
November - The front of the Village Hall has been improved after all the grass was removed and replaced by paving stones to the front and side.

2001
February - Water meter fitted. Reduced water rates.
Geoffrey Harris made an appeal for information and photographs of those from the village who died in the Great War, with a view to publishing a booklet. Unfortunately no information was forthcoming.
28th April - Dee and Keith Fell held a Coffee Morning in aid of Field funds. £120 raised
14th July - Tom Money, late of White Horse Cottages, died at Blakeney aged 90 years. He had lived in the village until recent times.
Outside of Hall painted with red primer, undercoat and green top coat. The paint was supplied ‘free of cost’ by Dulux Community Projects Scheme. Labour supplied by Committee members and villagers.
12th August - Village Fete and exhibition of villagers hobbies and crafts in the church. £2,000 raised in spite of the very wet day and some activities being held in the Village Hall with the band playing on the stage - a very ‘cosy’ occasion.
October - The Church Sponsored Cycle Ride raised £476, half of which goes to the village church.
Due to the hard work of the committee and several villagers good progress has been made painting the village hall; minor items remain and the Committee has agreed to replace the rotten windows.
27th December - Bob Scarfe aged 60 years, died suddenly. He had lived in Hempstead for 16 years and had a haulage business at Lower Bodham. The funeral at Baconsthorpe Church.

2002
February - Tthe Parish Council agreed to take over responsibility for the Village Playing Field.
7th February - Ann Culverwell died after a long illness. She has lived in the village for many years; firstly at Browwood and then at Church Farm Cottage. A retired teacher, she was Secretary to the PCC and organist at All Saints’ Church.
February - Three new plastic windows fitted to south side by Marglaze of Baconsthorpe for £850
March - Keith Fell and Geoffrey Harris Fitted wire mesh to eves of hall - preventing birds nesting.
March -New curtains purchased from Aldis & Betty for £191. Sewn by Mrs Dee Fell and flame proofed and fitted. (Donation of £90 from the Kneeler Group towards the cost of the curtains.)
March - Donation of £50.00 from the Kneeler Group to be used for the renovation of the ‘Coronation’ sign outside the village hall.
During year the bank each side of the access path were cut back and wooden retaining boards installed and kept in place by stakes. Pathway levelled and re-gritted, but to be re-done when work finished. Cost £207.79. Committee - Messrs Fell & Harris
April - Largely thanks to the efforts of Dee Fell, and with the help of a generous donation from the proceeds of last year’s Village Supper, the Hall is now fitted with new curtains to brighten the interior.
27th May - Jubilee Hog Roast.
11th August - Village Fete. And the Church will have an Arts and Crafts exhibition. £2,600 taken.
September - A speed limit of 30 mph through the village has been proposed.
14th September - Sponsored Cycle Ride - monies expected was £860
September - The death of Alice Power aged 79 years and late of Hall Meadow is recorded.
At the PCC Meeting the Lay Chairman reported that the first half of the repairs to the Church had been started. This has been made possible by a grant of £3,000 from the Norfolk Churches Trust and the Church’s share coming from local events.

2003
During January and February 2003, the Whist Drives were cancelled, and new toilets installed. Again, all the installation work was carried out by Keith Fell assisted by Geoffrey Harris. Tom Dennett installed new lights, whilst Tom and his wife Dorothy completed the painting and varnished the cubicles. The installation of the sanitary hardware and plumbing was carried out at no cost by Mr Tim Geens from the Old Post office Hempstead - ‘as his contribution towards the village’.
The work consisted of removing the existing cubicles in both toilets. The Gents will serve as a joint disabled and gents facility. The correct ‘disabled toilet set’ was installed; the doorway widened etc. Suitable door hardware fitted. The Ladies was provided with two cubicles (to conform to current legal requirements should we need to re-apply for a Public Entertainments Licence).
Wall heaters were purchased from Machine Mart in Norwich and fitted to each toilet. These have been wired into the thermostatically controlled frost guard so will run automatically.
The exercise was finished by the first week in March 2003 at a cost of £1,370.
April AGM. Mrs Dennett resigned from the Committee. Mrs Pam Wallis agreed to join.
19th May - Marlpit Lane to close for about 1 day for some cabling work.
6th June - Dr Cecil Gibson died at the Norwich Hospital.
10th August - Summer Fete on the Playing Field with an exhibition in the church with the theme “The Church in Art”. This was held on a very hot day and with a reduced attendance, but £2,300 was still raised.
13th September - Sponsored Cycle Road in aid of the Norfolk churches. The goodly sum of £1,074.20 was raised.

2004
15th March - the death of Lionel (Bill) Hicks of Lynwood House. Bill and his wife Iris moved to Hempstead in the 1950's.
April - AGM Mrs D Fell resigned from the Committee, although is remained actively engaged with hall functions. Mr Michael Thody joined the Committee.
The Church was decorated for Easter but there were reported problems of dog fouling in the churchyard and damage to pathway lights and junction boxes.
The death of Malcolm Freegard aged 81 years was recorded. Malcolm and his wife Molly moved into Church Farm some 18 years ago. After schooling in North London, he joined the RAF at the age of 17 years. He trained as a pilot and flew Wellington bombers. He survived a ditching in the North Sea and was rescued. On a later operation he was shot down over Germany and remained a POW for three years. After the war he graduated from Cambridge University, then taught at Gresham and at Bristol. In 1956 he joined the BBC and in 1960 returned to Norfolk as a TV producer making films about local history and the landscape. In 1968 he set up the Audio-Visual Centre at the UEA, from which grew the East Anglian Film Archive.
31st July - David Spalton died suddenly whilst on holiday in Canada. A varied and interesting career in the Merchant Navy; banking and engineering took him round the world.
An old round shaped A.A. sign bearing the name of ‘Hempstead’ was found in a shed at Court Green. The enamel is badly worn, but it has been cleaned and now installed on the back wall of the Hall. David Durst has provided information about these signs, whilst Geoffrey Harris photographed it, and with the help of computer software has produced a picture of how it would have looked when nearly new. The sign shows the distance from Hempstead to London and other places. Now displayed in the Hall.
August Installation of the 30 mph signs to start as well as some work in Marlpits to improve the drainage.
8th August - Village Fete- no dog show this year. £2,218 taken due to the hard work of everyone.
11th September - Sponsored Cycle Ride for Norfolk Church Trust. £1,266 raised
Marlpit Lane closed from 27th Sept to 1st October for tree surgery and work on overhead cables.
£50 donated towards the running cost of the village newsletter from the Kneeler Group.
27th October - Celebrations were held to mark Henry Mack’s 50 years as churchwarden. There was a Communion Service taken by the Bishop of Lynn, followed by a party in the village hall where Henry was presented with a tankard.
18th December - Village Hall Christmas Party where Keith Skipper entertained.

2005
March - The Sunday School is being discontinued after many years. Grateful thanks to Marianne and Christine who ran it with dedication.
During the previous year, the Village Supper Group (Mrs Irene Bassett) donated the sum of £50 towards the cost of renovating the village sign. This was first erected in 1936 to celebrate the Coronation. The post had rotted and rust had appeared in the sign. The sign was removed, taken to Wood Dalling where it was sand-blasted. It was then painted (by Keith Fell) in its original colours. In March 2005, Keith Fell and Geoffrey Harris at last erected it on a new site at the top of the approach path to the hall. During this time, the opportunity was taken to have the gate sandblasted and painted black. This has enhanced the appearance of the hall site.
March the first ‘Cheese and Wine’ evening was held. The cheese maker from Little Walsingham gave a short talk and provided some samples etc; unfortunately it was not well attended.
Despite having its trunk filled with concrete and strapped with iron bands, the large and venerable cheshunt tree at Red House has finally gone over and left a large gap in the landscape.
April - Annual General Meeting - Mr Harris resigned as Treasurer. Mrs Jean Smith later agreed to take this post, and all documents and files were then handed to her.
May - As usual, the annual Hog Roast was held and a full house enjoyed a delicious meal of roast pork and salad followed by ‘sweets’. Another successful evening. The Village Hall Committee now erect a tent just outside the door of the hall to ensure the barbecue remains dry in any rain.
August - Annual Fete was held and the church was decorated with an Arts and Crafts display and flowers. In spite of the rain many attended, including a coach load of trippers on a ‘mystery’ tour. £2,150 was raised and divided between the Church and village hall.
26th August - For about 12 weeks, water main renewal and road closure - Anglian Water laid a new water main from the Hole Farm corner, via the Baconsthorpe Road, Marlpit Road, Back Lane bridle way and Chapel Lane to Beckett’s Farm.
September - Each year the village ‘Kneeler Group’ arrange a village supper (used to be the harvest supper). Five days before the event, only 7 persons had booked, so it was cancelled. The first time ever.
September - The death of Leslie “Snowy” Edwards of Wayside is recorded. Snowy was born in 1921 and in 1939 he joined the Fleet Air Arm. He trained as an observer. He saw action with 812 Squadron mine laying off the French and Belgium coasts. He joined the aircraft carrier HMS Furious in 1941 and took part in the disastrous attack on the Petsamo and Kirkenes oil-fuel tanks when so many aircraft were lost that a follow-up attack was cancelled. He then transferred to HMS Ark Royal and took part in the Malta convoys until the ship was torpedoed off Gibraltor. In 1944 he was appointed Commanding Officer of 842 Squadron and it was at Benbecula that he first met Sally - the Wren officer who was to become his wife - when he saw her coming down the steps of an aircraft with a goose under her arm. In 1947 he was awarded the Silver Medal of the Royal Humane Society after trying to rescue a Petty Officer from drowning. He later qualified as a pilot and saw service at Boscome Down and Culdrose Air Stations. In the last years of his life, he suffered ill health but never lost his cheerful disposition. A much loved and respected man.
10th September - The sponsored cycle ride around Norfolk Churches raised £768.
22nd October - Village Supper of Beef Casserole and crusty bread followed by home made sweets.
12th December - congratulations to Dora Fowle of 5, Marlpit Cottages who celebrated her 100th birthday. She came to Hempstead from Cornwall in 1956.
December - The churchyard was extended in 1906 and rimmed by wrought iron railings. Behind these is an unruly laurel hedge. The railings are beyond repair so prompted by a substantial anonymous donation the railings and hedge will go. The sections facing the road and drive will be marked by a wall; for the rest the railings will be re-furbished.
17th December - Christmas Get-Together. About 55 people enjoyed a seasonal evening - with snow.

2006
March - work continues in the churchyard. Laurels have been dug out and railings removed. Overhead electric cable to the church was a hazard, so is now buried following the line of the old path. across the extension churchyard. No graves were disturbed nor un-marked ones found.
6thy April - All hands needed for the annual spring clean of the church.
Easter Stall in the church on Easter Monday when tea towels and notelets bearing a picture of the church will be on sale.
20th May - Annual Hog Roast.
June - A welcome to Viv and Ray Collier who have moved into Wayside on the Street.
July - Following some years of discussion regarding the storage of the very unwieldy trestle tables, it was agreed that Thaxters would be approached to design and build at external storage device. This would fit between the windows on the left hand side of the hall. The outside storage was installed during September and after many years, there was some vacant room on the stage.
During the summer months, an advert appeared in the Parish Church Newsletter asking for musicians and performers to appear in the “Hempstead Follies”. Subsequently Michael Thody and David Durst joined in with their expertise. Towards the end of September meetings were called and rehearsals began.
Following one or two ‘problems’ - the Hall Chairman - Mr Tom Dennett resigned and Adrian Taylor joined the Committee. Mr Keith Fell stated his intention of resigning his post as Secretary at the next Annual general Meeting in April 2007. (This was inevitable as during the summer months Mr and Mrs Fell had advertised their property for sale, intending to move nearer their daughters in mid-England). There is some feeling that with the number of villagers taking part in the ‘Follies’ production, and taking into account those who have stated they would not be attending - for whatever reason - including the fact that such entertainment is not every-ones ‘cup-of-tea’ - there will be more performers than audience. Eventually the show took place and the hall was full. [And later productions were a great success so such fears were not justified.]
13th August - Annual Summer Fete on the Playing Field, and flowers and an exhibition in the church. As a change from the Sherringham Silver Band, music will be provided by George Cushing’s mechanical Fairground Organ. The week-end was wet, but the sun throughout the day of the Fete. £2,200 raised. (An amazing amount as the Fete only runs from about 2.30 to 4.30 pm. A tribute to all the helpers, donators and buyers.)
9th September - Norfolk Churches Trust - Sponsored Cycle Ride - raised £871.95p
September - Sadly Dora Fowle, (late of Marlpit Cottages) aged 100 years died on the 27th September. After cremation her ashes were taken back to her home county of Cornwall.
21st October - Village supper - the menu for this year is chicken and ham pie with salad and puds. Sadley cancelled through lack of support.
November - Sorry to see Mike Culverwell move to Holt.
Welcome to Mary and Tim Scarff who are moving into Church Farm Lodge. Tim is returning to his birthplace.
November Mindless vandalism reported. Damage to the bus shelter, phone box and on the playing field, along with graffiti in the church.
December - Congratulations to Mike Thody for his 11 feet tall wood sculpture of a friendly giant who now stands in Holt Country Park.
16th December - Christmas get-Together at the Village Hall and the first appearance on stage of the Hempstead Follies who provide 45 minutes of entertainment.

2007
6th January - Ena Roy of the The Forge died in her 95th year. Born at Great Snoring where her father was a wheelwright she trained as a nurse at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. She was a ward sister at Kelling and Cromer and ended her working life as Sister-in-Charge at Gresham’s Sanatorium. She lived at the working forge with her husband Jack.
April - A further piece of outside storage was installed in the Hall. This contains excess chairs and other items, thereby leaving the stage free of clutter.
9th April - Easter Sunday - Kneeler Group stall in the decorated church.
April - At the A.G.M. the Secretary Keith Fell resigned owing to his impending move to Lancashire to be nearer to his daughter. In consequence, the Treasurer Mrs Jean Smith also tendered here resignation. The new committee (as far as can be ascertained) is now - Chairman: Mr Mike Thody; Secretary: Mr Adrian Taylor; Treasurer:: Mrs Mo Williams; other members - Mr and Mrs Linda West; Mrs Pam Wallis; Mrs Iris Hicks and Liz Buxton.
Keith also resigns as Newsletter Editor and his place taken by Jayne Cain of Baconsthorpe.
19th May - Village Hog Roast at the Village Hall.
May - A letter from the Hall Chairman was circulated to all houses asking for views on what, if any, additional events should or could be held in the Hall. It is suggested that money should be spent on updating the kitchen and stage. External funding will be sought to meet some of the costs. A public meeting will be called in June to discuss this..
July - Thanks offered to Linda and Robin West who have refurbished the Village Sign on Court Green.
July - For many years Linda and Robin West have held a whist drive each fortnight in the Village Hall, but these will now cease owing to dwindling numbers and other reasons. Substantial amounts of money has been raised over the years to the benefit of the village hall and our grateful thanks go out to them.
12th August - Annual Fete on the Playing Fields - another successful day raising £2,180.
September - Another change of editor for the newsletter - now Donna Bishop from Baconsthorpe
September - Welcome to Jason and Lisa Mathews and family to the Vicarage.
8th September - Sponsored Cycle Ride for Norfolk Church Trust raised over £790.
September - The Village Hall Committee announce they had received £5,000 from the Lottery Fund; this means the hall can be refurbished by Christmas.
31st October - The Film Club started. A classic comedy was shown and the evening included refreshments, but no popcorn.
14th November - Tony Leach, naturalist and raconteur gave a talk “Looking after North Norfolk” illustrated by slides.
22nd November - Stalls were set out in the Village Hall with displays of gifts and other items suitable for Christmas.
Film Club - following a successful first event, this will now be a monthly event through the winter months.

2008
11th March - Patricia Laura Darlington Mack died. She was born on the 27th December 1923 and spent many years of her life at Court Green.
24th May - Annual Hog Roast.
July - The Kneeler Group has purchased a new clock for the Vestry.
10th August - Annual Fete and exhibition in the Church. The theme this year will be “Homemade Nursery Toys”. The day was dry but very windy. A record number of visitors enjoyed the day so much that £2,240 was raised. As usual, to be split between the Church and Village Hall.
A ugust 200 Club - for many years the 200 Club has been in existence to raise money for the upkeep of the churchyard. The current “workers” wish to stand down so three more volunteers are needed.
13th August - Sponsored Cycle Ride for Norfolk Church Trust. £707 raised.
October - Welcome to Ian and Su Summers who have moved in next to the Village Hall.
12th November - talk by Steve Benson on “The Great Fire of Holt”.
November - Henry Mack and Molly both celebrate their 90th birthdays this year. Their friends, family and well-wishes are invited to a tea party in the Hall to celebrate the event on the 26 th at 3.30 pm.
13th December - Annual Christmas “Get-Together”

2009
4th March - Another evening with SAKI. More readings from the master of dark comedy.
31st March - Annual Church Cleaning.
13thApril - Fund raising stall in the church. Tea and coffee available. £150 raised for church funds.
24th April - At the meeting of the PCC Su Summers and Ann Udale were appointed Churchwardens.
23rd May - Annual Hog Roast.
July - A sign “Hempstead Village Hall” has been designed and created by Mike Thody, and now marks the Hall.
August Keith and Dee Fell left the village to be nearer their daughter - thanks were given for all the help they gave to the village and villagers - they will be greatly missed.
9th August - Annual Fete. Again a good day with £1,897 being raised.
12th September - Sponsored Cycle Ride for Norfolk Church Trust
The Film Club season begins and will end in May. See notice board for details.
September - A Plant and Produce Stall has been placed in the Street outside the Village Hall.
October - The Grassroot Grant Fund has awarded £1,470 to the Hall to assist in the purchase of lightweight table.
14th October - Shelia Harrison to give a talk about the local connections with Parson Woodforde of Western Longville. Mrs Harrison read History at Oxford and is a Lecturer and Tutor for the Open University.Geoffrey Harris has produced a paper regarding the connection (alleged) with the house known as “Garwood”.
8th November -Hempstead lost one of its much loved inhabitant when Henry Everett Mack died. He was born on the 10th January 1918, then farmed at the Hall. His funeral service was at All Saints Church, Hempstead on the 18th November.
25th November - there will be a Christmas Shop in the Hall.
12th December - Christmas Get-Together.

2010
18th January - The village was saddened to hear of the sudden and unexpected death of Davina Thody. Condolences to Mike and his family.
22nd May - Annual Hog Roast
8th August - Annual Fete with an exhibition of pictures of Hempstead in the Church. £2,548 taken after expenses.
20th August - With the aid of a Lottery Grant, the roof has now been ‘lagged’ and the Hall is now much warmer.
12th September - Sponsored cycle ride - £820 raised.
October - Drawing Class in charcoal - held weekly in the village hall under the tutelage of Mike Thody.
28th October - A Play Reading Group has been formed.
10th November - Leanne Thomas of Sculthorpe Nature Reserve will give an illustrated talk on “The Secrets of the Barn Owl”
11th December - Christmas Get-Together. The Follies presented a modern rendition of Cinderella.

2011
February - Ian Summers is the new editor and a much changed look to the Newsletter - event details ‘on line’.
Excellent photographs now front each issue giving a better appearance.
March - Hempstead Plant and Produce Stall is having a break, but will be back in March. Last year raised £230 and was shared between Church and the Hall.
13th March - New gates have been fitted to the church access; made by Keith and Ian Thirtle of Bodham Joinery and hung by George Owen of Plumstead, with lettering by Mike Thody, and were dedicated after the church service to the memory of Henry Mack, Church Warden for 50 years.
11th April - The Pinewood Saxophone Quartet entertained a large and appreciative audience of songs and melodies ranging from the classical to jazz.
April - The annual church clean - the Newsletter contained a photo of the current cleaners and one taken some 75 years ago. Interesting comparison.
7th August - Annual Fete. A blustery day, but the tents survived. £2,450 taken. The ‘prize’ prize - a flight with Jason Mathews in his aerobatic biplane (previously owned by Nelson Picquet, F1 racing driver) took place with a slightly nervous Rose Carver as a passenger; a flight from Little Snoring to Stiffkey ended with a double roll and loop the loop.
13th October - Harp Concert - another packed house enjoyed en evening of music from Lucinder Pennick and her harp and assisted by Phillip Meader playing the flute - and our own Su Summers made her debut performance on her harp.
November - The village was saddened to hear of the sudden passing of Mike Williams of Garwood, The Street. A stalwart supporter of everything in the village he will be much missed by all, as demonstrated by the enormous turnout to the memorial service at the church - even the overspill tent was full. A sad loss.
November - Carl Sayer (Lecturer in Geography at University Coillege, London and a Bodham boy) presented an insight into the inhabitants of Norfolk ponds. A fascinating talk.
December - Hempstead Christmas Get-Together saw another enjoyable evening with food in abundance and the members of The Follies providing the entertainment

2012
January - Coffee Morning - a new venture. A coffee morning will be held on the first or second Friday of every month from 10.30am to 12 midday. Coffee, tea and cakes available, together with jams and marmalade for purchase. £259 has already been raised.
January - Village Stall - thanks to all who bought plants etc from the stall - £400 raised in 2011 to be shared between church and Hall.
March - Francis Fielden announced his intention to rejuvenate Selbrigg Pond which was last dredged by his father in the 1950's. The trees will be coppiced (last done about 40 years ago); the pond dredged to remove the overgrown rushes. There will be some delay for the 6 days it will take to finish the work beside the road.
March - The Apse on the church has been re-thatched.
March - Toad Patrol along the road near Green Farm and the Rookery Pond. All helpers welcome.
March - The “Bring and Buy” Stall outside the Hall is back in business for the summer.
June Celebration Trees - there are five trees in the village which have been planted to mark as occasion a sycamore outside the Church gate, but reason now lost to time; the Pink Chestnut outside the village hall planted to commemorate the Coronation of the Queen 1953; the Acer on the parking space opposite the church to commemorate the life Diana Spalton’s mother; The Acer on Court Green was planted by Molly Mack in 1977 on the occasion of the Silver Jubilee and a Walnut planted by William Mack on the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. (Photos in the Newsletter.)
July - Hempstead Treasure Hunt - Bank Holiday Monday saw some 20 assorted vehicles assemble at Court Green for William and Lynda Mack’s Treasure Hunt. Some £250 was raised for the Playing Field and Newsletter.
19th August - Annual Fete - the thunderstorm finished just as the fete was opened, so a good dry day was enjoyed - again a substantial amount was raised - £2,240 to be split between the Church and Hall.
September - Hempstead Church Lunch - following the morning church service, many gathered for lunch in the garden of Su and Ian Summers. A total of £446 was raised for the Norfolk Venda - a South African charity.
October - Sponsored Cycle Ride - £790 raised.
28th November - Village Hall enjoyed a tea party when David Durst and Molly Freegard were invited so we could celebrate their 90th birthdays.
David’s birthday was further celebrated at the monthly coffee morning in December when a cake was cut and cards presented.
November - The Village Stall has been put away for the winter; thanks to all who purchased items raising some £500 which has been divided between the church and the hall.
November - Robert Fitzgerald from High Kelling accompanied by four invisible electronic musicians entertained an audience to music which ranged rom the time of Elizabeth 1st back to the 12th and 13th Centuries. The £252 raised was shared between the East Anglian Air Ambulance and the Village Hall.
November - The Old Methodist Chapel, home of Robert Wattis and family is put up for sale - during the summer they were visited by members of an American family who had lived there in 1956/57. Mrs Irene Sheets had lived there with her husband Ray who had been a doctor at the USAF Base at Sculthorpe. The house was the only available house in the village at that time that had running water. Her daughter Barbara was born in Norfolk and is now a doctor herself in North Dakota, USA.
December - The December issue saw the start of “Bertie’s Ramblings”. Bertie Harmer of Green Farm was asked to be the ‘Agricultural Correspondent’ but knowing him it will cover many subjects.
December - Christmas Get-Together. This annual event was, yet again, an outstanding success. From being welcomed with a glass of mulled wine, to being called forward to fill our plates with food and then silenced by the narrator as The Follies presented their entertainment. It all ended with the raffle - all prizes being donated.

2013

The Charcoal Drawing classes held weekly throughout the year.
February - The Play Reading Group has opened.
January -David Durst gave a talk relating to the so called “Letheringsett Scientific Anchorite” - Johnson Jex - who was a 19th Century blacksmith.
April - The April edition recorded the 130th anniversary of a regular parish event - the North Norfolk Harriers had their annual meet at Hole Farm. It is known that they have been welcomed to Hole Farm since 1883.
7th May - Annual Hog Roast - £292 raised.
June - The Timothy Coleman Prize which is presented to an individual who has made an outstanding contribution towards promoting the interests and understanding of food farming and countryside in Norfolk was this year presented to Robin Carver of Hole Farm. Since 1982, about 40,000 trees and 12,500 shrubs have been planted on 60 acres of new plantations and alongside 8 miles of hedges. Consequently Hole Farm has seen a dramatic increase in all types of wildlife.
4th August - Hempstead Fete and in the church a “Celebration of Flowers”. £2,701 raised.
26th August - The Charity Lunch took place in the Hall when a magnificent £810 was raised for the Norfolk Venda; this sum will help to provide water for a school in South Africa,
August - Work continues at Selbrigg Pond. The piling work to replace the retaining wall is under way - this will last three months.
14th September - Sponsored cycle ride - a magnificent £1,600 was raised.
14th - 15th September - An Arts Exhibition and Sale held in the Hall in aid of Church Funds.
November - Mike Culverwell died. Mike was a Hempstead resident and churchwarden for many years, until he moved into Holt in 2009.

2014
11th January - Adrian Taylor died suddenly. He did much work for improving the village hall during his time on the committee, including the infamous “Follies” when he persuaded many from the village to ‘tread the boards’ for the first time. In tribute (March Newsletter) Bertie Harmer said “To describe him as a cantankerous old so and so would not be too far off the mark, but he was a man you either loved or hated and, behind that mask of abruptness, he has a great sense of love, loyalty and in particular, un-political correctness, art and music .... What a lovely man”
May Budgens presented a cheque for £400 to be spent on new playground equipment.
May - Toad Migration - the Toad Watchers have finished for this year - 3,232 moved from the road at Rookery Pit; Selbrigg 10,332 - many thanks to the helpers and drivers who took care.
August - Annual Fete and the exhibition in the church will be on “Butterflies and Moths”. In spite of heavy rain in the morning, good weather appeared for the afternoon and the free spending visitors aloud us to raise £2,256.
August - A the Royal Norfolk |Show - the Prince Edward presented Jack Parfitt his Long Service Award for 44 years with the Harmer farms.
August - The Charity Lunch in aid of the Norfolk Venda Education Project in South Africa was very well supported and the church and hall collection came to £920.
August - Churches Cycle Road - this year as well as cyclist the less fit were allowed to travel by car. £1,254 raised.
6th - 7th September - Hempstead Village Hall was transformed into an Arts Centre with an exhibition of paintings, drawings, photographs, stained glass etc. A catalogue in colour was produced with mini-biographies of the artist. Tea, coffee, cakes and soup for lunch were available. A good week-end.
September - The Film Club started its eighth season.
6th December - The Christmas Get-Together - As well as the usual feast, the Follies will present their interpretation of “Murder at Green Barn” in three acts. Beware of the Phantom Bowman!!
August - Churches Sponsored Cycle Ride - raised a magnificent £1,359.
December - Patrick Andrew Newall [1938 - 2014] of the Mill, Hempstead collapsed and die suddenly in Holt. His funeral service was held at the Parish Church in Holt on the 3rd December 2014. Patrick was a ‘Gresham’s’ boy, then farmed the land around the Mill.

2015
11th January - Two Police vehicles and numerous cars seen in the drive of Green Farm, home to Bertie Harmer. Whilst Bertie was away convalescing following complications from a hip replacement, his home has been broken into on two separate occasions.
February - The first Newsletter to cover the enlarged Benefice was issued. To much dismay, the Benefice now consists of the following villages - Baconsthorpe’ Barningham Winter; Edgfield; Hempstead; Iteringham; Little Barningham; Matlaske and Plumstead.
3rd March - Visit by the Bishop of Lynn. There was a Mothering Sunday Service followed by tea and cakes in the Village Hall.
5th March - A concert by the ‘Saxophone Quartet” was held and during the evening Vic Crocker’s 90 th birthday was celebrated.
Annual “Toad Patrol” - to rescue the toads crossing the road near Green Farm and at Selbrigg Pond. (3,179 rescued and delivered to the nearest pond)
April - The monthly meetings of the Play Reading Group; the Coffee and Gossip morning and Film Club continued ..
Clive Rammel - a book binder and restorer was featured on the back page of the Newsletter.
4th May - A small exhibition and refreshments held in the Church by the Kneeler Group. (£275 raised)
16th May - “The May Feast” - a social evening with roast gammon and lamb.
Ian Summers - long term editer of the village newsletter steps down.
29th - Betty Hart of Chapel Lane reached 90 years of age. A tea party was held in the Hall to celebrate.
18th July - Charity lunch in the Hall in aid of the Norfolk Venda Educational project was held after the morning service. Donation was made up by - Parish Council:£200; Church Collection:£185; Lunch time collection:£508.93. Total : £893. 83p.
9th August - Annual Fete in aid of Hall and Church Funds. £2,905 raised.
5th & 6th September - Hempstead Arts. Display of paintings, photographs; and many crafts - all of which were for sale. Lunches were avilable and was well attended. £1,150 raised for Church Funds.
12th September - Annual NCT Sponsored Bike Ride.
2nd October - “Fun Quiz” evening. A packed hall enjoyed the quiz and the excellent cooked meal provided.
10th November - The Rev Brian Faulkner ably assisted by his wife Eleanor gave an illustrated talk on their journey to Papua New Guinea where they visited many communities, both small and large.
5th December - The Hempstead Get-together and the Follies entertainment played to a packed house. This time there were separate musical acts as well as readings - the standard was high and much talent displayed. Instead of a cooked meal, cold meats, cheese etc were laid out on each table - with hot sausage rolls and mince pies later dispensed.

2016
8th January - the first Coffee and Gossip morning of the year was held; the hall was full of kitchen equipment but more that 15 persons from Hempstead and surrounding villages enjoyed a good gossip as well as the coffee.
A start was made on the new kitchen. The ceiling was replaced and workmen arrived on the 11th to install the kitchen fitments.
February - The first coffee morning after the new kitchen had been installed. A great improvement.
David Durst had discovered a photos of the members of the Hempstead Bowls Club. Several members have been identified and Geoffrey Harris made several copies for the history file.
The Rev Cleve has been identified, so this dates the photo to between 1924 and 1932.
This is the first time this Club has been mentioned, and it is known that the rink was situated on the playing field beside the Church.
28th March - Easter Egg hunt at All Saints Church took place on a very windy and wet day, so the hunt took place in the church. All children went away with a ‘goodie’ bag; the adults were well catered for with coffe or teas and home made cakes. It was not a fund raising event, but £117 was raised from refreshments and the bookstall.
7th April - Jazz Night in the Village Hall with profits to the Air Ambulance. Unfortunately one (or two) of the players were not ‘up to scratch’ that night, but generally a good evening and £330 raised.
Passing The village was saddened when Dave Smith suddenly passed away. He had been in hospital for some time after a stroke. He was making a slow but steady recovery, so his passing was unexpected.
The first edition of the “Hempstead Herald” appeared This is a small newssheet produced by Ian and Sue Summers and financed through the monthly coffee mornings. It was necessary to produce this as the Benefice News often contained incorrect dates and other wrong information.
21st May - May Feast - Graves’ gammon and lamb roast with home made salads and desserts Plenty of good food available, but attendance was poor (reason unknown), but those who attended enjoyed a good evening and many had second helpings.
11th June - Queen’s 90th Birthday. A fine Saturday morning saw many at the church enjoying refreshments and a slice of a magnificent cake in the shape of a crown baked by Rose Carver. The children were invited to bring along their pictures of the Queen - and to receive a goodie bag.
19th May - Charity ‘Venda’ Lunch in the Village Hall. Some £1,075 was raised for the charity which provides schools, water supplies and toilets in one of the poorest parts of Africa.
5th August - Coffee and Gossip made its annual move to Ash Farm, Baconsthorpe. Proceeds to Crome Hospital Dialysis Unit
7th August - Annual Fete. Again a success. Held on a sunny day, some £2,500 was taken during the 2 hours.
1st Sept - The Annual “ Art Show” was held over the weekend. A display by local artists was well attended and sales amount to over £1,600.
8th Sept - It is reported that Brian ... who used to live at “Snowdrops” died in the Home where he had been living following the contraction of dementia. Betty Hart a long lived member of the village sadly passed away after a long illness.
10th Sept - Norfolk Churches Trust Cycle Ride - The magnificent sum of £3,453 was raised. This is an event supported by all villages in the Benefice.
14th October - There was a sell-out for the annual quiz. A hot meal was served beforehand.
16th October - An ‘all-day’ harpathon was held in the village hall. Su Summers had arranged for some 15 harp players for an extended tutorial. Geoffrey Harris spent the afternoon taking photographs, and members of the village came in and listened to the music for the last period. A very enjoyable and melodic day.
November - Robin and Linda West who ran the 200 club for many years announced their retirement.
Aided by a gift rom the Parish Council, new climbing apparatus has been installed on the playing field.
Clive and Chris Placed their house for sale at £495.000 prior to their move to Surrey Street, Norwich.
10th December - Xmas Party.
With the December Newsletter there arrived a leaflet regarding the possible development of the Poultry Farm site; seeking public opinion and the extent of support. Support was and is lukewarm.
However, the project developers continued and further consultation with villagers to be held.

2017
February - 200 Club - Robin and Linda West were presented with a plant and a pot in recognition of their long service running the Club. The new committee was elected . . .
Jo Hurrell; Francis Feilden (Treasurer); Jill and Dick Roy; Airlie Inglis; Su and Ian Summers (draw organisers). It was agreed that the monthly draw would take place at the Coffee Morning held on the first Friday of each month.
24th February - Geoffrey Harris gave a talk “They Spied for Germany” - an illustrated story of two men recruited to spy for Germany. Both were captured, but One survived the war; the second was executed. Receipts donated to Air Ambulance.
March - Village Stall
Su Summers thanked all who had contributed to the Stall by donating and purchasing plants and produce over the last eight years. Over that time £2,080.97 has been raised and divided between the village hall and church.
3rd April April - Annual ‘Church Clean’ was held.
17th April - Open Church and Egg Hunt - took place on a sunny day with many children and adults taking part. Coffee and cakes were served and £150 raised towards children activities during the year.
20th May - The annual May feast was held to a full house, otherwise A quiet month apart from the regular activities.
18th June - The Hempstead Charity Lunch was held in aid of Venda, a local charity which supports ten remote South African Schools.£1,134 was raised - all of which will be spent on the schools, with no overheads taken off. During the last 5 years Hempstead folk - and their friends -have raised some £5,000.
24th July - the large and impressive conifer tree that stood in the front garden of “Wayside”, The Street was cut down after rot had been found. This had been planted by “Snowy” Edwards when he first moved in.
27th July - congratulation to Daniel Sanders, the eldest son of Paul and Joanne and Kayleigh on their marriage in Hempstead Church with the reception at Thursford.
6th August - Annual Fete was held on the church field on a sunny day. Many stalls and events, including the ‘fun’ dog show. The magnificent total of £3,030 was raised to be divided between the church and village hall.
2nd - 3rd September - Hempstead Arts was held in the Hall and the magnificent sum of £1,875 raised - many visitors from near and far - even as far as Exeter who was fulsome in her praise.
9th September - Norfolk Church Trust Cycle/Walk/Drive. Hempstead raised over £3,000.
13th October - quiz night - a full house, excellent food and much hilarity and won by team “The Berks”.
November - Proposed Development of the Chicken Farm - Two meetings were held in the village hall when owners; developers and other interested parties met to discuss the proposed development. The developers were open to suggestions and as a result, the majority of residents agreed that it would be better to agree the lay-out and size subject to certain requirements, rather than have an unacceptable development imposed.
9th December - Christmas Party. The annual party was a full house, with good food and a lot of gossip. The entertainment after the meal was by the “Back to the 60's” Band” who rehearse in the hall. Not every-one (mainly those of a more mature age) where not happy with the music or the volume and several left immediately. After a short while the (lengthy) raffle was held, and the music recommenced - but most, having had success or failure in the raffle left.
December - It is reported that Vic Crocker had passed away. A long time resident in Chapel Lane, but lately of a Nursing Home in Aylsham where he had been suffering from dementia.

2018
January - At the end of the month, the road outside Green Farm was closed for a period to allow ‘Open Reach’ (part of B.T.) to install a cabinet and cabling for the upgrade of the system to provide a better broad band system. At long last.
Jill and Dick Roy praised for taking on the maintenance of the garden and grounds around the village hall. A great improvement and now no need to apologise to those booking the hall.
February - Irene Bassett from Crab Apple cottage on the Green stood down as principal arranger of flowers in the church - a post she has held for many years.
Field Lane Stables - rumours persist that the stables have been or are to be sold and the purchaser is Viking Housing; however, they have been contacted and deny any plans to buy.
Village Hall - Jill and Dick Roy have, during the last season, taken responsibility to maintain the grounds. This includes digging out trench at the rear and side in an effort to minimize the effect of water run off from the hard packed ground at the stable, not helped by boards being inserted in the hedge line to stop this run off flooding the adjacent domestic property.
Bridge Club - Dick and Jill Roy running Bridge sessions in the village hall - a new enterprise.
28th February - Saw the first real snow of the season. It was well forecast as “Beast of the East” as the strong cold winds blew in from Russia. The overnight storm saw about 6" of snow, but the strong winds blew it from the field into drifts and into the lanes. The village street as far as the Marlpit junction is gritted as it is part of the school run, so after a day, there was fairly easy access into Holt, but many lanes needed the snow plough. The main road - A 148 - didn’t escape the drifts, so transport was disrupted for a while. The wind chll factor was given as low as -14 degrees C - and it felt like it. However, within a few days travel returned (more or less) to normal, but other parts of the country suffered badly.
12th March - Molly Freegard - a long time resident of Hempstead but now living in Edgfield passed away. She was in her ‘90's but still active. A sad loss. (Her bath had been drawn for her, but Molly then added more hot water this, unfortunately caused scalding. She was conveyed to hospital but later died from complications caused by the burns].
15th March - Heard that the daughter of Claudine Fuller had died suddenly whilst in Scotland visiting her daughter. Claudine was a well known resident in Hempstead in her time and occupied the Old Post Office. Her remains now lie in her mother’s grave at Hempstead Church.
2nd April - Church Open Day and Easter Egg Hunt - an excellent turn-out in spite of the cold and very wet week-end. The egg hunt organised by Marianne Scarf was held in the church whilst Sue and Ian Summers organised the teas with donated cakes whilst Anne Udale made sure everyone paid!
The Easter Day service saw a full church; the collection raised £460 for the Bishop’s Lent Appeal.
19th May - May Feast in the Village Hall.
June - All Saints Church, Hempstead has been highly commended in the Rural Churches category of the Welcoming Church Awards for 2018 as a result of “mystery visitors”.
July - Iris Hicks celebrated her 90th birthday.
30th May - Tilly Owen of Pipers Vale Gymnastic Club, Ipswich won Gold for Grade 2 - aged 14+ years
5th August - Hempstead Fete.

**************************************

1937 Coronation - Committee Minutes
transcribed by Geoffrey Harris

The Minutes for this Committee were found with the Minutes for the Village Hall Committee. They consist of part of an excise book. Several are undated. I decided to transcribe them rather than extract items of interest, so where gaps exist in this document, then gaps exist in the original . The dates run through 1937 - the year of the Coronation taking place on 15th May 1937.
Meetings were held and monies raised by subscription and other means to finance the activities. Some photographs exist.
These events were held on the field to the north side of the house known as GARWOOD.
It was also used for the Cricket and Football

Coronation Committee Minutes

Checks made in the (sparse) book of accounts, show the hire of the hall to Mr Hagan on the 18th March 1937 for 4/-.
The Coronation Social was held on the 15th May 1937 when £1:11:0d rent was received.
The only other mention of hiring by the Coronation Committee was on the 18th November when £2:1:0d rent was received.
Meeting held in the Village Hall on ? at 7
Rev A.M. Auden was elected to the chair. Mr J.A. Hagan was elected Honorary Secretary. The following were elected to form a General Committee:- Mrs C. Yarham; Mrs R. West; Mrs D.W. Hagan; Mr Bolderoe; Mr S.A. Riseborough; Mr D.W. Hagan;
The Hon Sec was instructed to write to Viscount Rothermere and G. Lockhart Ross Esq to appeal for funds. The meeting was adjourned until 2nd March at 7.30 pm

****************

2nd General Meeting held in the Village Hall Tuesday, 2nd March at 7.30 pm
Rev A.M. Auden in the chair.
The Hon Sec gave his reports on his efforts to obtain money and said that Viscount Rothermere had been written to and that Mr Lockhart Ross had promised £10 and Mr Thomas Polding had also promised to contribute.
Rev A.M. Auden then promised to give £1 and D.W. Hagen £1 and Mrs D.W. Hagan 10/-
Mr S.A. Riseborough offered a prize of 5/- for the best decorated cottage and Mrs D.W. hagan 2/6 for the second best.
Proposed by Mrs D.W. Hagan and seconded by Mr S.A. Riseborough that a house to house collection should be taken. This was carried by a majority of 17. For the motion 21. Against 4.
Proposed by Mrs Arthur Roy and seconded by Mr S.A. Riseborough that each house should be given an envelope in which to put their contribution. As an amendment it was proposed by Mrs D.W. Hagan and seconded by Mr A. Roy hat there should be an envelope for each wage earner in each house. The amendment was carried unanimously.
Proposed by Mr S.A. Riseborough and carried unanimously that the organisation of the distribution etc of the envelopes be left to the committee.
It was then proposed by Mr Bolderoe and carried that the festivities should take the same form as for the Silver Jubilee of the late King George V.
This was carried unanimously and a discussion commenced as to what particular items should be included in the Coronation Celebrations.
It was proposed by Mr S.A. Riseborough and seconded by Mr D.W. Hagan that all the children should be given a Coronation mug each. Carried unanimously.
Proposed by Mr S.A. Riseborough and seconded by Mr D.W. Hagan that a lamp be placed on the gateway of the Village Hall. Carried.
Then proposed by Mr S.A. Riseborough and seconded by Mr Albert Roy that efforts to raise money be made by holding functions in the Village Hall. Carried unanimously. The Committee to be entrusted with the arrangements of details.
Mr S.A. Riseborough proposed and Mr Boldero seconded that a meat tea be arranged provided sufficient money was forthcoming. After some discussion this was put to the meeting. There voted for the motion 23. Against 9. Majority for the motion 14.
Considerable discussion then took place as to the order in which the various items proposed should be placed having regard to the amount of money raised.
In the course of the discussion it as proposed by Mrs D.W. Hagan and carried unanimously there should be a Social in the Village Hall in the evening at which there should be light refreshments.
The order of the items was finally arranged as follows:-
1. A permanent memorial and mugs for the children.
2. Sports
3. Social in the evening
4. Meat tea
Mr Albert Roy then proposed that, if funds permitted, the present entrance to the village hall should be moved and placed opposite the entrance to the Hall itself complete with new gates, concrete steps or slope, concrete path and lamp over the gate.
After some discussion it was decided that the Hon Sec should write to the Erpingham R.D.C. to find out if this could be done and also to certain builders to obtain prices for the job.
The Hon Sec then pointed out that at the previous meeting no Hon treasurer had been appointed.
Mrs C. Yarham proposed and Mr S.A. Riseborough seconded that Mrs D.W. Hagan be appointed. Carried unanimously.
Discussion then took place as to the necessity or otherwise of holding a further general meeting after all the money had come in.
It was proposed by Mr Bob Bacon and seconded by Mr Arthur Roy that a further general Meeting should be held. There voted for the motion 18. Against 13. Majority for the motion 5.
It was proposed by Mr Arthur Roy and seconded by Mr Bob Bacon that it should be left to the Hon Sec to call the next general meeting when all available funds had been collected.
Mr Arthur Roy proposed and Mr Boldero seconded that a Sports Committee be elected. This was carried unanimously and the following were appointed to serve: Mr Boldero; Mr Riseborough; Mr Henry Mack; Mr D.R. Hagan; Mr Jack Roy; Mr Walter Withers; Mr D.W. Hagan; Mr Arthur Roy; Mr John Seaman; The Hon Sec.
It was then proposed Mr By D.W. Hagan and seconded by Mr S.A. Riseborough that each envelope should bear ‘a name’. After some discussion this was put to the meeting and carried.
The meeting was then adjourned.
Signed: A.M. Auden and dated 13th April 1937.

****************

Committee Meeting held in the Old Schoolroom on Tuesday 6th April at 7 p.m.
Rev A.M Auden in the Chair.
Present: Mrs Yarham; Mrs R West; Mrs DW Hagan; Mr SA Riseborough; Mr Boldero; Mr DW Hagan; and the Hon Sec.
It was proposed by Mr Riseborough and seconded by Mrs Hagan that the state of the finances should not be discussed. Carried.
Then proposed by Mrs DW Hagan and seconded by Mr Riseborough that the envelopes for the house collection be sent out as soon as possible. Carried.
Mrs Yarham, Mrs R West, Mrs DW Hagan, Mr Boldero and the Hon Sec undertook to distribute the envelopes which were to be collected by 8.0 pm on Sat 10th April.
It was proposed by Mr Boldero and seconded by Mr DW Hagan and the Rev AH Upchurch be asked to judge the decorated cottages. Carried.
The third general Meeting was fixed for Tuesday 13th April.
Proposed by Mrs Hagan that Mr Riseborough’s offer of a lamp to form the basis of the permanent memorial be accepted. Carried.
The meeting was then closed.
Signed AW Auden. dated 3rd March 1937

****************

Sports Committee Meeting held at the White Horse on Tuesday ? at 7.30 pm.
Mr DW Hagan was elected to the Chair.
Present: Mr Arthur Roy; Mr Henry Mack; Mr Jack Roy; Mr Boldero; Mr John Seaman; Mr S Riseborough; Mr Walter Withers; and Hon Sec.
It was proposed by Mr A. Roy and seconded by Mr Riseborough that prizes for the sports should take the form of goods rather than money. Some discussion on this point took place but the motion was finally carried.
Proposed by Mr Boldero and seconded by Mr Withers that the prizes should be bought locally. This motion was opposed and after the discussion Mr Boldero amended his proposal to effect that prizes for the team events only should be purchased in Holt.
Mr SA Riseborough; Mr J Roy and the Hon Sec were deputed to buy the prizes.
The sports programme was then discussed and arranged as follows:-

EVENT Number of prizes
Ladies and gents tug-o-war
Relay 4 prizes
Boat race 8
Musical Chairs on bicycles 2
Ladies ditto 2
Greasy pole to be held for one hour
Obstacle race 3
High jump 3
3 Legged race - mixed 2
1 mile open 3
¼ mile open 3
100 yards open 3
100 yards - over 30 3
Handicap walking race - over 50 3
50 yards - girls under 8 3
50 yards - boys under 8 3
75 yards - girls 8 - 14 3
75 yards - boys 8 - 14 3
Thread-needle race 4
Egg & spoon race - women 3
Ladies over 50 walking 3
It was agreed to allow the buyers of the prizes to allot the amounts to be spent on each event. It was also agreed that the prizes should be placed on show in the Village Hall a day or two before Coronation Day.
It was decided to ask the General Committee to allow the Sports to commence at 2.0 pm
It was agreed that Mrs DW Hagan be asked to give away the prizes and that Mr Janes Whittonbe asked to announce the events etc. on the sports ground.

****************

Committee Meeting held at ‘Four Elms’ on Wednesday
The Rev AM Auden in the chair.
Present: Mrs Yarham; Mrs R West; Mrs DW Hagan; Mr SA Riseborough; Mr l Boldero; Mr DW Hagan; and Hon Sec.
The Hon Sec read the minutes of the last meeting which were approved and signed.
The Hon Sec reported that the Rev AH Upchurch had been obliged to decline the invitation to judge the decorated cottages owing to pressure of work and in the discussion which followed it was decided that Mr T Polding should be asked to do so in his stead.
Mr Riseborough proposed and Mr DW Hagan seconded that the prizes for decorated cottages should be raised to 10/-; 5/- and 2/6d.
Discussion of the programme to be arranged for Coronation Day then took place and a suitable programme was drawn up. The Hon Sec produced two Testaments for approval and it was decided to order an appropriate number of copies of the sample bound in red and costing 1/- each.
The Rev Auden was asked to inscribe these with the names of the recipients which he agreed to do.
It was proposed by Mrs Hagan and seconded by Mr Riseborough that Mrs Auden be asked to unveil the memorial.
Mr DW Hagan proposed and Mr L Boldero seconded that small bottles of ale be provided for the purpose of drinking the King’s health together with two bottles of sherry and 10/- worth of ginger beer.
Mrs DW Hagan reported that Mr G. Knights of Holt had undertaken to provide for the meat tea at £9:10:0d. without crockery or cutlery.
Mrs Hagan undertook to provide the crockery and cutlery and Mrs Hagan, Mrs Harham and Mrs West to provide the service and this was agreed to.
It was proposed by Mrs DW Hagan and seconded by Mr DW Hagan that Mr and Mrs Riseborough to be put in charge of the decorations of the Village Hall. Carried unanimously.
signed AM Auden and dated 3rd Nov 1937

****************

3rd General Meeting held in the Village Hall on Tuesday 132th April
Rev AM Auden in the Chair.
The Hon Sec read the minutes of the last meeting and these were carried and signed.
It was proposed by Mr SA Riseborough and seconded by Mr J Whitton that the proposal to move the entrance to the Village Hall and construct a slope be dispensed with. This was carried unanimously.
The Hon Treasurer then reported on the amount of money that had been collected.
Proposed by Mr Riseborough and seconded by Mr Boldero that the children each be given a Testament. Carried unanimously.
Mr R West proposed and Mrs J Whitton seconded that all children under the age of 16 years be included.
Discussion then took place as to the events to be held on Coronation Day in the course of which Mr Boldero proposed and Mr J West seconded that £15 be spent on a programme of sports.
It was proposed and carried by 31 votes to 11 that a meat tea be provided.
Mrs DW Hagan proposed that the King’s Health be drunk by the assembled village at the White Horse Inn at 12 noon. This proposal was discussed and carried.

Drinking the health of King George VI at noon Wednesday 12th May 1937
left-right: Mrs Buchan (housekeeper to Capt Mee of the The Lodge)
Mrs Charlie Baker(wife of the milkman at Red House farm), Mrs Wrad,
Rev Auden, Mrs John Hagan, Sydney Riseborough (publican), Bill Hagan,
Leslie Doy, Bob Withers

It was proposed by Mr DW Hagan and seconded by Mr G Doy that beer be provided for the social in the evening previously agreed upon.
It was agreed that tea should be provided for the tea.
Mr Arthur Roy proposed and Mr Jack West seconded that refreshments be provided at the Social.
Mr G Doy proposed and Mr Riseborough seconded that, provided the funds allowed it, a concrete base for the second Jubilee seat be provided.
Mr Riseborough proposed and Mr Boldero seconded that the Coronation balance sheet be hung in a prominent place in the village. Carried.
The meeting was closed
Signed: AM Auden and dated 10th Nov 1937.

****************

Committee Meeting held in the Old School on Wednesday, 3rd Nov 1937.
Rev AM Auden in the chair.
The Hon Sec then produced the Coronation Fund Accounts which showed a balance in hand of £7:1:0d. Suggestions were then put forward as to what should be done with this money.
The Hon Sec read a letter from the Head-Mistress of the Baconsthorpe School asking for a donation to the School Outing Fund.. Mr SA Riseborough proposed that £1 be allotted to this.
Mrs Hagan proposed that the new church gates be erected.
It was proposed from the Chair that some money be allotted to the Village Hall.
A General Meeting was fixed for Wednesday, 10th Nov in the Village Hall.

(The handwriting now changes to that of the Rev Auden .... )

The Secretary then read out a long list of names of persons who had helped him in his task on the day of the Coronation whom he wished to thank, and it was proposed that these names should be entered in a note in the Minutes (see later).
He then resigned his office - though pressed to continue it, and as no-one present was willing to take it on, the Chairman undertook to write the Minutes and carry out the wishes of the meeting.

****************

A General Meeting was held in the Village Hall on Wednesday 10th November at 7.30 pm
A good number were present. The Rev AM Auden was in the Chair, supported by the Secretary Mr John Hagan.
The Minutes of the last general Meeting were read, and confirmed.
The Secretary then read the statement of accounts - Receipts £52:3:6d. Expenditure £45:2:6d showing a Balance in hand of £7:1:0d.
A first charge on this balance in accordance with the resolution of 13th April was the cost of a concrete base for the second public seat - a sum of 15/- was set apart for this object.
Various suggestions were then made for the disposal of the remaining balance, which were considered in turn.

  • A letter was read from the Head-Mistress of the Baconsthorpe School asking for a contribution towards the childrens’ summer outing - Mr Riseborough proposed and Mrs J West seconded that £1 should be assigned to this object - carried.
  • It was proposed by Mr J Hagan, seconded by Mr Arthur Roy that £1:5:0d should be given to the mens Reading Room.
  • £1 was voted for the Nursing Association Fund.
  • £1 was voted towards Holt Ambulance which was also to serve Hempstead - proposed by Mrs DW Hagan and seconded by Mrs Bacon.
  • The balance of £2:1:0d was then assigned to the Village Hall Fund towards the purchase of a new lamp. Proposed Mrs Kemp; Seconded Mrs West.

At the first count, the majority of those present were against this proposal - but by a later motion first that £1 should be so assigned - and afterwards - that the remaining balance should be given, was carried.
Thus the balance was distributed:
Concrete base for the seat £ : 15 : 0d
Baconsthorpe School £1 : 0 : 0d
Nursing Association £1 : 0 : 0d
Holt Ambulance £1 : 0 : 0d
Men’s Club £1 : 5 : 0d
Village Hall £2 : 1 : 0d
TOTAL £7 : 1 : 0d
The Secretary desires to thank the following for their efficient help in carrying out the programme for the day of the Coronation - 10th May
For the Sports Messrs S Riseborough and J Roy who spent 2 days in buying prizes at Norwich and Holt.
Messrs Walton; Withers; Arthur Roy; Jack West; Dan Hagan and Alfred Hagan for getting ready the ground etc.
Mr James Whitton for announcing the items of the programme
Mr Boldero for arranging the children’s sports, and acting as starter
Mrs John Hagan for recording the results of the races etc
Mr DW Hagan for lending his field and men and horses for preparing and clearing up - Mr DW Hagan and Mr Mack for acting as judges
Mr S Riseborough for erecting the lamp
Mr Polding for judging the cottage decorations
Mrs Hagan, Mrs West and Mrs Yarham for organising the tea and procuring the cutlery
Miss Rachael Auden for acting as pianist at the Social Evening - and all the artists
Mr Riseborough for arrangements for drinking the King’s health and many other helpers.


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 07836 675369 or

Website copyright © Jonathan Neville 2022
Top of Page