sign Hempstead

Events
Contacts
Wildlife

For Sale



Village History
Vicarage
Farms
Long Sal
Lose & Nether Halls
Forge
Selbrigg
Shop
 

Directories

Listed below are the entries for Hempstead in the main trade directories spanning around 100 years. Some interesting comparisons can be made and it can be seen how families and trades change and evolve.

When reading the entries below, one factor that has been perpetuated by all the directories should be taken into account -
. . . other people's mistakes inevitably get perpetuated. The editor of Whites 1845 Directory intended to say that H and R H Gurney were Lords of the Manor of Hempstead Nether-Hall and Hempstead Lose-Hall. Unfortunately the printer seems to have interposed a comma so the entry reads ''Lords of the Manor of Hempstead, Nether-Hall, and Lose Hal1.'' Ever since then it has been assumed (quite wrongly) that Hempstead had three manors. Extraordinary efforts have been made to identify the third one ("Hempstead'') by putting it in the Pond Hills woods towards Edgefield connected to Hempstead Hall by a tunnel.
Hempstead, A Norfolk Village - Robin Carver, 2000

HEMPSTEAD, 2 miles S. E. of Holt, is a village and parish, in a hilly district, above the vale of the Glaven containing 286 inhabitants, and about 1500 acres, of which 100 are woods and plantations, mostly belonging to Lady Suffield, of Blickling, and H. and R. H. Gurney, Esqrs.; the two latter are lords of the manors of Hempstead, Nether-Hall, and Lose-Hall. The CHURCH has a brick tower, built in 1744, and is a vicarage, valued in K. B. at £9. 6s. 8d., and augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's bounty, in 1792, laid out in land at Bodham, let for £28 per annum. Here is 15½A. of old glebe. The Rev. J. W. Methwold is incumbent, and the Dean and Chapter of Norwich are patrons and appropriators ; but Lady Suffield is lessee of the tithes. In the vale of the Glaven is a large wild fowl decoy, belonging to Mr. Gurney.
Daglass, John - blacksmith
Elsden, Benjamin - grocer & draper
Fowl, Edmund - carrier to Norwich, Friday, 8 morning
Ling, Benjamin - assistant overseer
Miller, Charles - gentleman
Money, George - shoemaker
Pegg, James, victualler, Hare & Hounds
Skelton, Richard, gamekeeper
Skillings, Richard, joiner
Wright, Thomas - victualler, White_Horse
Farmers
Bell, John
Bird, William
Bond, Jeremiah
Edwards, John
Garwood, George
Ling, Martha
Ramm, Robert
Rump, William (Church Farm)
White's 1836

HEMPSTEAD, 2 miles S. E. of Holt, has in its parish 296 souls and 1756A. 2R. 8P. of land, including about 100A. of woods and plantations. H. and R. H. Gurney Esqrs., are lords of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall, and Losehall ; but a great part of the soil belongs to Lady Suffield, J. T. Mott and Wm. Bircham Esqrs., and a few smaller owners. The Church (All Saints) has a brick tower, built in 1744. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in K. B. at £9. 6s. 8d., and augmented, in 1792, with £200 of Q. A. B., laid out in land at Bodham, let for £28 a year. Here is 16A. of old glebe. The Rev. J. W. Methwold, A.M., of Wighton, is the incumbent, and the Dean and Chapter of Norwich are patrons and appropriators of the great tithes, leased to Lady Suffield, and commuted, in 1839, for £270, and the vicarial tithes for £140 per annum. The Rev. S. C. Leake, of Holt, is the curate. The poor receive clothing yearly from H. and R. H. Gurney Esqrs.
Directory:-
Henry Curson - vict., Hare and Hounds
John Daglass - blacksmith
Rev. Arthur Langton M.A. - rector of Matlaske, &c.
Charles Miller - gent.
George Money - shoemaker
John Pointer - gamekeeper
Thos. Wright - vict., White Horse
Thomas Pell - carrier to Norwich, Friday
Farmers
William Bird (Hole House)
Jeremiah Bond
Mrs. Frances Garwood
Benj. Ling (Hall)
Robert Ramm
John Richmond
Wm. Elsden Rump (Church Farm)
White's 1845


HEMPSTEAD a parish in Holt Hundred and Erpingham Union, West Norfolk, is situated about 2 miles south-east from Holt. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who are appropriators of the great tithes, but Lady Suffield is the lessee. The Rev. J. W. Methwold, M.A., of Wighton, is the vicar. The church of All Saints is a plain building, with a brick tower. The parish comprises of about 1757 acres and 338 inhabitants. The chief owners of the soil are H. and R. H. Gurney Esqrs., who are lords of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall, and Losehall ; but the chief part of the land belongs to the Marquis of Lothian, J. T. Mott and William Bircham Esqrs.
Langton, Rev. Arthur M.A.
Bird, William - farmer
Bishop, Richard - farmer
Bond, Jeremiah - farmer
Cursin, Thomas - Hare & Hounds
Dagless, John - blacksmith
Garwood, Frances (Mrs) - farmer
Ling, Benjamin - farmer (Hall Farm)
Money, George - White Horse
Pearce, John - farmer
Rump, William. E. - farmer (Church Farm)
Letters received through Holt
Kelly's 1854

HEMPSTEAD parish, 2 miles S. E. from Holt, comprises 330 inhabitants, 65 houses, and 1756a. 2r. 8p. of land, including about 100 acres of woods and plantations. H. and R. H. Gurney Esqrs., are lords of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall, and Losehall ; but the chief part of the soil belongs to the Marquis of Lothian, J. T. Mott Esq., and a few smaller owners. The CHURCH, dedicated to All Saints, has a brick tower, built in 1744. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's book at £9. 6s. 8d., augmented with £200 Queen Anne's Bounty, laid out in land at Bodham, and let for £28 a year. There are 16a. of old glebe. The Rev. J. W. Methwold, A.M., of Wighton, is the incumbent, and the Dean and Chapter of Norwich are patrons and appropriators of the great tithes, now leased to the Marquis of Lothian, and commuted in 1839, for £270, and the vicarial tithes for £140 per annum. There is a clothing club in the parish, supported by Messrs. Gurney and others.
Directory:-
William Brightman - warrener
J. Cooke - gamekeeper
Thomas Curson - vict. and wheelwright, Hare & Hounds
Rev. Arthur Langton M.A. - rector of Matlock, & Plumstead.
George Money - vict. and shoemaker, White Horse
Robert Turner - blacksmith
Farmers
William Bird (Hole House)
James Bishop
Jeremiah Bond
Charles Brightman
Mrs. Frances Garwood
Benj. Ling (Hall)
John Pearce
William. E. Rump (Church Farm)
White's 1854

HEMPSTEAD is a parish and village in Holt hundred and Erpingham union, West Norfolk, distant two miles S. E. from Holt. The living living is a discharged vicarage ; The Rev. J. W. Methwold, M.A., of Wighton, is the vicar. The church (All Saints), is a plain edifice, with a square tower and one bell. The parish contains about 1,757 acres, and 206 inhabitants. The chief owner of the soil is Hudson Gurney, Esq., who is lord of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall, and Losehall ; the Marquis of Lothian, J. T. Mott, and Hugh Rump, Esqrs., are also landed proprietors.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. - Letters through Holt. Post town, Thetford.
COMMERCIAL
Bird, William - farmer
Bond, Robert - farmer
Brighten, Charles - farmer
Cursin, Thomas - Hare & Hounds
Field, Ellis - farmer.
Fowle, Edmund - shoemaker
Garwood, Mrs. Francis - farmer
Gravelling, Alfred - blacksmith and shoemaker
Ling, Anne - farmer, The Hall
Money, Charles - parish clerk
Money, Mrs. Elizabeth - White Horse
Mrs. Frances Garwood
Pearce, John - farmer
Rump, William. Eldon - farmer, Church Farm
Harrod's 1863

HEMPSTEAD, 2 miles S. E. of Holt, has in its parish 280 inhabitants, and 1756 acres of land, including 100A. of woods and plantations. Hudson Gurney Esq., is lords of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall, and Losehall, and owner of a great part of the soil ; but the Marquis of Lothian, J. T. Mott, Hugh Rump and Wm. Bircham Esqrs., and some others, have estates here. The CHURCH, (All Saints) is a small fabric, comprising only a nave, a south porch, and a low brick tower, built in 1744. The discharged vicarage, valued in the K. B. at £9. 6s. 8d., was augmented in 1792 with £200 of Q. A. B., laid out in land at Bodham, let for £28 a year. Here are 16A. of old glebe. The Rev. J. W. Methwold, M. A., of Wighton, is incumbent ; and the Dean and Chapter of Norwich are patrons and also appropriators of the great tithes, which are leased to the Marquis of Lothian, and were commuted for £289. 11s. 11d. in 1839, when the vicarial tithes were commuted for £150 per year. The Rev. John Custance Leak, of Plumstead, is the curate. Here is an infants' School, supported by the lord of the manor.
The chief residents are -
Thos. Curson - victualler, Hare & Hounds
Saml. Fowell - gamekeeper
Alfred Graveling - blacksmith and shoemaker
Jno. Neal - beerhouse
Sarah Neal - school
Chas. Money - parish clerk
Farmers
William Bird (Hole House)
Robt. Bond
Charles Brighten
Ellis Newstead Field
Frances Garwood
Ann Ling (Hall)
Jno. Pearce
Wm. Elden Rump
White's 1864

HEMPSTEAD-by-Holt is a parish about 2 miles south-east from Holt and 11 south-west from Cromer, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred and county court district, Erpingham Union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconary and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a plain building, and consists of nave, with a square brick tower containing 1 bell, and porch ; the stained east window of two lights was erected by the vicar as a memorial in 1876. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a discharged vicarage, yearly value £200, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who are impropriators of the great tithes, and held by the Rev. Charles Louis Rudd M.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford. A vicarage house of red brick was erected by public subscription on the glebe in the year 1876. John Henry Gurney esq. is lord of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall, and Losehall, and the Marquis of Lothian, J. T. Mott and Hugh Rump esqrs. are chief landowners. The soil is light ; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 1,756 acres ; rateable value, £2,076 ; and the population in 1871 was 249.
Post Office, - John Neal, receiver. Letters through Dereham by messenger from Holt arrive at 7.45 a.m.; dispatched at 4.20 p.m. No mail on sundays.
The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Holt.
An infant school of red brick capable of holding 90 children was erected in 1877, & is supported by a voluntary rate ;
Miss Overed, mistress
Rudd, Rev. Charles Louis M.A. [vicar]
COMMERCIAL
Beckett, Joseph - farmer
Bird, William - farmer & owner
Bond, Robert - farmer & owner
Curson, Emma (Mrs.) - Hare & Hounds
Fowle, Samuel - farmer & gamekeeper
Harrison, Noah - smith
Hendry, Thomas - farmer
Ling, Edmund - farmer, valuer & estate agent (The Hall)
Mack, Richard - farmer (The Hole farm)
Neal, John - White Horse, & shopkeeper
Rump, Catherine (Mrs.) - farmer (Church Farm)
Kelly's 1879


HEMPSTEAD, 2 miles S.E. of Holt, is a parish in Erpingham union, Holt hundred, petty sessional division, and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Holt polling district of North Norfolk, Holt rural deanery, and Norwich archdeanery. It had 248 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 1756 acres of land, including 100 acres of woods and plantations. The rateable value is £2076. John Henry Gurney, Esq., is lord of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall, and Losehall, and owner of a great part of the soil ; but the the Marquis of Lothian, J. T. Mott and Hugh Rump Esqrs., and some others, have estates here. The CHURCH (All Saints) is a small fabric, comprising only a nave, a south porch, and a low brick tower, built in 1744. The discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £9. 6s. 8d., was augmented in 1792 with £200 of Q.A.B., laid out in land at Bodham, let for £28 per year. Here are 16 acres of old glebe. The Rev. Charles Louis Rudd M.A., is incumbent ; and the Dean and Chapter of Norwich are patrons and also appropriators of the great tithes, which are leased to the Marquis of Lothian, and were commuted for £289 11s. 11d. in 1839, when the vicarial tithes were commuted for £150 per year. The annual value of the living has been augmented by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners to £200. A vicarage house was built by public subscription in 1876. Here is an INFANTS'_SCHOOL, erected by public subscription in 1877, and supported by a voluntary rate.
Post from Dereham
Barnard, Charles - farmer
Beckett, Joseph - farmer
Bond, Robert - farmer and overseer
Hendry, Thomas - farmer
Harrison, Noah - blacksmith
Ling, Edmund - farmer, landagent, valuer & surveyor (The Hall)
Mack, Richard - farmer and surveyor, and at Baconsthorpe
Neal, John - farmer, overseer, and vict. White Horse Inn
Rump, William. E. - farmer (Church Farm)
Riseborough, Thomas - farmer
Rudd, Rev. Charles Louis, M.A. - vicar, The Vicarage, Rump, Mrs. C. - farmer (Church farm)
Stanley, MIss - schoolmistress
Wright, John - parish clerk
White's 1883

HEMPSTEAD, 2 miles S.E. of Holt, is a parish in Erpingham union, Holt hundred, petty sessional division, and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Holt rural deanery, and Norwich archdeanery. It had 264 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 1756 acres of land, including 100 acres of woods and plantations. The rateable value is £1,697. John Henry Gurney, Esq., is lord of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall, and Losehall, and owner of a great part of the soil ; but the the Dowager Marchioness of Lothian, J. T. Mott, Esq., Lady Eade, the Rev. C. L. Rudd, and some others, have estates here.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is a small fabric, comprising only a nave, a south porch, and a low brick tower, built in 1744. The discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £9. 6s. 8d., was augmented in 1792 with £200 of Q.A.B., laid out in land at Bodham, let for £28 per year. There are 16 acres of old glebe. The registers date from 1707. The Rev. Thomas Webster Whistler M.A., is incumbent, and the Dean and Chapter of Norwich are patrons and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners are appropriators of the great tithes, which were commuted for £289 11s. 11d. in 1839, when the vicarial tithes were commuted for £150 per year. The annual value of the living has since been augmented by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners to £200. A vicarage-house was built by public subscription in 1876. There is an INFANTS'_SCHOOL, erected by public subscription in 1877, and supported by a voluntary rate.
POST_OFFICE at Mr. John Neal's. Letters arrive at 7.45 a.m., and are despatched at 4.45 p.m., via Holt, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
RAILWAY - Holt is the nearest station
Baker, Thomas Charles - ironmonger and blacksmith ; h Holt
Barnard, Charles - farmer
Barnard, Miss Joannah - Ntl. schlmts
Beckett, Joseph - farmer
Bond, Robert - farmer
Fowler, John - farmer & mole catcher
Fowler, Samuel - gamekeeper
Hagen, John - farmer (Hole Farm)
Hendry, Thomas - farmer (Rump & Hendry)
Ling, Alfred - farmer, land agent and valuer (The Hall)
Neal, John - vict. White Horse Inn
Plane, William - gamekeeper (Pond Hills)
Quantrill, Mrs Martha - dressmaker
Riseborough, Thomas - farmer
Rump & Hendry - farmers (Church fm)
Rump, Mrs. C. (R. & Hendry)
Scarff, Robert - vict. Hare & Hounds
Whistler, Rev Thomas Webster, M.A. vicar, The Vicarage
Wright, John - parish clerk
White's 1890

HEMPSTEAD-by-Holt is a parish about 2 miles south-east from Holt station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, and 11 south-west from Cromer, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred, petty sessional division and county court district, Erpingham Union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconary and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a plain building, and consists of nave, south porch, and a western tower of brick containing one bell ; the stained east window is a memorial, and was inserted in 1876 by the Rev. Charles Louis Rudd M.A. vicar 1873-89, who also presented a carved oak reredos and massive brass lecturn ; there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a discharged vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £106, net yearly value £154, with 23 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who are impropriators of the great tithes, and held since 1889 by the Rev. Thomas Webster Whistler M.A. of St. Peter's College, Cambridge. The vicarage house was erected on the glebe in 1876. The reading room, formerly used as an infants'_school, is a red brick building erected in 1877. John Henry Gurney esq. J.P. of Keswick Hall, is lord of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall, and Losehall, and Constance, Marchioness of Lothian, John Stanley Mott esq. of Barningham Hall and Lady Eade of Norwich, are chief landowners. The soil is light ; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 1,756 acres ; rateable value, £1,665 ; the population in 1891 was 225.
POST_OFFICE - John Neal, receiver. Letters from Holt R.S.O. arrive at 7.35 a.m.; dispatched at 4.50 p.m. No mail on sunday.
The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Holt.
The children of this place attend the school in the adjoining parish of Baconsthorpe.
COMMERCIAL
Baker, Charles Thomas - blacksmith; & at Holt; Fakenham & Sherringham - See advertisement
Beckett, Joseph - farmer
Bond, Robert - farmer & owner
Cooper, James - farmer
Dixon, Grandison Abel - farmer
Fowle, Samuel - farmer & gamekeeper to H.G. Barclay esq.
Ling, Alfred - farmer & agricultural valuer, Hempstead hall
Hagen, John - farmer, The Hole farm
Neal, John - White Horse P.H. & shopkeeper, Post office
Quantrill, Martha - dressmaker, Reading Room
Rump & Hendry - farmers
Scarf, Robert - Hare & Hounds P.H.
Kelly's 1892

HEMPSTEAD is a parish about 2 miles south-east from Holt station on the Eastern section of the Midland and Great Northern joint railway, and 11 south-west from Cromer, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred, petty sessional division and county court district, Erpingham Union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconary and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a plain building, and consists of nave, south porch, and a western tower of brick containing one bell ; the stained east window is a memorial, and was inserted in 1876 by the Rev. Charles Louis Rudd M.A. vicar 1873-89, who also presented a carved oak reredos and massive brass lecturn ; there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a discharged vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £106, net yearly value £154, with 23 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who are impropriators of the great tithes, and held since 1889 by the Rev. Thomas Webster Whistler B.A. of St. Peter's College, Cambridge. The vicarage house was erected on the glebe in 1876. The Weslyan_chapel, built in 1895-6, is of local stone and red brick, and will seat 100 persons. The reading room, formerly used as an infants'_school, is a red brick building erected in 1877. John Henry Gurney esq. J.P. of Keswick Hall, is lord of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall, and Losehall, and Constance, Marchioness of Lothian, John Stanley Mott esq. of Barningham Hall and Lady Eade of Norwich, are chief landowners. The soil is light ; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 1,777 acres ; rateable value, £1,446 ; the population in 1891 was 225.
POST_OFFICE - Miss Matilda Neal, sub-postmistress. Letters from Holt R.S.O. ; the delivery of letters and parcels commences 7.50 a.m. ; dispatched at 4.45 p.m. No postal business on sundays. Postal orders are issued here but not paid. The nearest money order offices are at Baconsthorpe, Edgefield Green & Holt. Holt is the nearest telegraph office.
The children of this place attend the school in the adjoining parish of Baconsthorpe.
Whistler, Rev. Thomas Webster B.A. Vicarage
Baker, Charles Thomas - blacksmith; & at Holt; Fakenham & Sherringham - See advertisement
Beckett, Joseph - farmer
Bond, Robert - farmer & owner
Cooper, James - farmer
Fabb, Herbert - White Horse P.H.
Fabb, Thos. - forester to J. H. Gurney, esq.
Fowle, John - vermin destroyer, Court green
Fowle, Samuel - farmer & gamekeeper to J. H. Gurney esq.
Hagen, John - farmer, The Hole farm
Hardy, Richard - farmer
Ling, Alfred - farmer & agricultural valuer & agent to
J. H. Gurney, esq., Hempstead hall

Parish & Reading Room (Rev. T. W. Whistler, B.A. sec)
Rump & Hendry - farmers
Scarf, Robert - Hare & Hounds P.H. & assistant overseer & rate collector
Kelly's 1896

HEMPSTEAD is a parish about 2 miles south-east from Holt station on the Eastern section of the Midland and Great Northern joint railway, and 11 south-west from Cromer, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred, petty sessional division and county court district, Erpingham Union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconary and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a plain building, and consists of nave, south porch, and a western tower of brick containing one bell ; the stained east window is a memorial, and was inserted in 1876 by the Rev. Charles Louis Rudd M.A. vicar 1873-89, who also presented a carved oak reredos and massive brass lecturn ; there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value £132, with 23 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who are impropriators of the great tithes, and held since 1889 by the Rev. Thomas Webster Whistler B.A. of St. Peter's College, Cambridge. The vicarage house was erected on the glebe in 1876. The Weslyan_chapel, built in 1895-6, is of local stone and red brick, and will seat 100 persons. The reading room, formerly used as an infants'_school, is a red brick building erected in 1877. John Henry Gurney esq. J.P. of Keswick Hall, is lord of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall, and Losehall, and Constance, Marchioness of Lothian, John Stanley Mott esq. and Lady Eade of Norwich, are chief landowners. The soil is light ; subsoil, mixed. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 1,777 acres ; rateable value, £1,446 ; the population in 1891 was 225.
Parish Clerk, John Wright
POST_OFFICE - Mrs. A. Kemp, sub-postmistress. Letters from Holt R.S.O. ; the delivery of letters and parcels commences 7.50 a.m. ; dispatched at 4.45 p.m. No postal business on sundays. Postal orders are issued here but not paid. The nearest money order offices are at Baconsthorpe, Edgefield Green & Holt. Baconsthorpe is the nearest telegraph office, 2 miles distant.
The children of this place attend the school in the adjoining parish of Baconsthorpe.
Whistler, Rev. Thomas Webster B.A. Vicarage
COMMERCIAL
Baker, Charles Thomas - farmer
Beckett, Joseph - farmer
Bond, Robert - farmer & owner
Cooper, James - farmer
Fabb, Thos. - forester to J. H. Gurney, esq.
Fowle, John - vermin destroyer, Court green
Fowle, Samuel - farmer & gamekeeper to H. G. Barclay esq.
Hagen, John - farmer, The Hole farm
Hardy, Richard - farmer
Kemp, Annie - shopkeeper
Ling, Alfred - farmer & agricultural valuer & agent to
J. H. Gurney, esq., Hempstead hall

Parish & Reading Room (Rev. T. W. Whistler, B.A. sec)
Parker, Edmund - White Horse P.H.
Scarf, Robert - Hare & Hounds P.H.
Kelly's 1900

HEMPSTEAD is a parish about 2 miles south-east from Holt station on the Eastern section of the Midland and Great Northern joint railway, and 11 south-west from Cromer, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred, petty sessional division and county court district, Erpingham Union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconary and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a plain building, and consists of nave, south porch, and a western tower of brick containing one bell ; the stained east window is a memorial, and was inserted in 1876 by the Rev. Charles Louis Rudd M.A. vicar 1873-89, who also presented a carved oak reredos and massive brass lecturn ; there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value £135, with 23 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who are impropriators of the great tithes, and held since 1889 by the Rev. Thomas Webster Whistler B.A. of St. Peter's College, Cambridge. The vicarage house was erected on the glebe in 1876. The Weslyan_chapel, built in 1895-6, is of local stone and red brick, and will seat 100 persons. The reading room, formerly used as an infants'_school, is a red brick building erected in 1877. John Henry Gurney esq. of Keswick Hall, is lord of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall, and Losehall, and the Marquis of Lothian, John Stanley Mott esq. of Barningham Hall and Lady Eade of Norwich, are chief landowners. The soil is light ; subsoil, mixed. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 1,767 acres of land and 10 of water; rateable value, £1,228 ; the population in 1901 was 225.
Parish Clerk, John Wright
POST_OFFICE - Mrs. A. Kemp, sub-postmistress. Letters from Holt R.S.O. ; the delivery of letters and parcels commences 7.50 a.m. ; dispatched at 4.45 p.m. No postal business on sundays. Postal orders are issued here but not paid. The nearest money order offices are at Baconsthorpe, Edgefield Green & Holt. Baconsthorpe is the nearest telegraph office, 2 miles distant.
The children of this place attend the school in the adjoining parish of Baconsthorpe.
Whistler, Rev. Thomas Webster B.A. Vicarage
COMMERCIAL
Beckett, Joseph - farmer
Burrell, Joseph - mole catcher, Court gn
Cooper, James - farmer
Fabb, Thos. - forester to J. H. Gurney, esq.
Hagen, John - farmer, The Hole farm
Hardy, Richard - farmer

Kemp, Adeline - shopkeeper
Ling, Alfred - farmer & agricultural valuer & agent to
J. H. Gurney, esq., Hempstead hall

Parker, Edmund - White Horse P.H.
Scarf, Robert - Hare & Hounds P.H.
Tomlin, John E. - head gamekeeper to H. G. Barclay esq,

Kelly's 1904

HEMPSTEAD is a parish about 2 miles south-east from Holt station on the Eastern section of the Midland and Great Northern joint railway, and 11 south-west from Cromer, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred, petty sessional division and county court district, Erpingham Union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconary and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a plain building, and consists of nave, south porch, and a western tower of brick containing one bell ; the stained east window is a memorial, and was inserted in 1876 by the Rev. Charles Louis Rudd M.A. vicar 1873-89, who also presented a carved oak reredos and massive brass lecturn ; there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value £165, with 23 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who are impropriators of the great tithes, and held since 1889 by the Rev. Thomas Webster Whistler B.A. of St. Peter's College, Cambridge. The vicarage house was erected on the glebe in 1876. The Weslyan_chapel, built in 1895-6, is of local stone and red brick, and will seat 100 persons. The reading room, formerly used as an infants'_school, is a red brick building erected in 1877. John Henry Gurney esq. of Keswick Hall, is lord of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall, and Losehall, and the Marquis of Lothian, John Stanley Mott esq. of Barningham Hall and Lady Eade of Norwich, are chief landowners. The soil is light ; subsoil, mixed. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 1,767 acres of land and 10 of water; rateable value, £1,248 ; the population in 1901 was 225.
Parish Clerk, John Wright
POST_OFFICE - Mrs. A. Kemp, sub-postmistress. Letters from Holt S.O. ; the delivery of letters and parcels commences 7.10 a.m. & at 4.50p.m. (callers only) ; dispatched at 9.30 a.m. & 4.50 p.m. No postal business on sundays. The nearest money order offices are at Baconsthorpe, Edgefield Green & Holt. Baconsthorpe is the nearest telegraph office, 2 miles distant.
The children of this place attend the school in the adjoining parish of Baconsthorpe.
Whistler, Rev. Thomas Webster B.A. Vicarage
COMMERCIAL
Hagen, John - farmer, The Hole farm
Hagen, Willam - farmer
Hardy, Richard, - farmer
Kemp, Adeline (Mrs.) - shopkeeper, Post Office
Ling, Alfred - farmer & valuer of all kinds of agricultural stock. Hempstead hall

Scarf, Robert - Hare & Hounds P.H.
Tomlin, John E. - head gamekeeper to H. G. Barclay esq,
Williamson, Henry - White Horse P.H.

Kelly's 1908

HEMPSTEAD is a parish about 2 miles south-east from Holt station on the Eastern section of the Midland and Great Northern joint railway, and 11 south-west from Cromer, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred, petty sessional division and county court district, Erpingham Union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconary and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a plain building, and consists of nave, south porch, and a western tower of brick containing one bell ; the stained east window is a memorial, and was inserted in 1876 by the Rev. Charles Louis Rudd M.A. vicar 1873-89, who also presented a carved oak reredos and massive brass lecturn ; there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value £165, with 23 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who are impropriators of the great tithes, and held since 1911 by the Rev. James Robert Hamilton. The vicarage house was erected on the glebe in 1876. The Weslyan_chapel, built in 1895-6, is of local stone and red brick, and will seat 100 persons. The reading room, formerly used as an infants'_school, is a red brick building erected in 1877. John Henry Gurney esq. of Keswick Hall, is lord of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall, and Losehall, and the Marquess of Lothian is the chief landowner. The soil is light ; subsoil, mixed. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 1,767 acres of land and 10 of water; rateable value, £1,428 ; the population in 1911 was 259.
Parish Clerk, John Wright
POST_OFFICE - Mrs. A. Kemp, sub-postmistress. Letters from Holt. ; the delivery of letters and parcels commences 7.10 a.m. & 4.50p.m. (callers only) ; dispatched at 9.30 a.m. & 4.50 p.m. No postal business on sundays. The nearest money order offices are at Baconsthorpe, Edgefield Green & Holt. Baconsthorpe is the nearest telegraph office, 2 miles distant.
The children of this place attend the school in the adjoining parish of Baconsthorpe.
Hamilton, Rev. James Robt. (vicar)
Morgan J.H. - Brownwood
Tatam, Cecil G. - Hempstead hall
COMMERCIAL
Dixon, Edward - White Horse P.H.
Hagen, Daniel Wm. - farmer, Green Farm
Hagen, John - farmer, The Hole farm
Hardy, Richard, - farmer

Kemp, Adeline (Mrs.) - shopkeeper & sub-postmistress
Scarf, Robert - Hare & Hounds P.H.
Tatam, Cecil G. - farmer, Hempstead Hall farm
Tomlin, John E. - head gamekeeper to J. H. Gurney esq,

Kelly's 1912

HEMPSTEAD is a parish about 2 miles south-east from Holt station on the Eastern section of the Midland and Great Northern joint railway, and 11 south-west from Cromer, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred, petty sessional division and county court district, Erpingham Union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconary and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a plain building, and consists of nave, south porch, and a western tower of brick containing one bell ; the stained east window is a memorial, and was inserted in 1876 by the Rev. Charles Louis Rudd M.A. vicar 1873-89, who also presented a carved oak reredos and massive brass lecturn ; in 1915 a memorial window was inserted to Richard Hardy, sometime churchwarden ; there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value £165, with 23 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who are impropriators of the great tithes, and held since 1911 by the Rev. James Robert Hamilton. The vicarage house was erected on the glebe in 1876. The Weslyan_chapel, built in 1895-6, is of local stone and red brick, and will seat 100 persons. The reading room, formerly used as an infants'_school, is a red brick building erected in 1877. John Henry Gurney esq. D.L., J.P. is lord of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall, and Losehall, and the Marquess of Lothian is the chief landowner. The soil is light ; subsoil, mixed. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 1,767 acres of land and 10 of water; rateable value, £1,462 ; the population in 1911 was 259.
Parish Clerk, John Wright
POST_OFFICE - Mrs. A. Kemp, sub-postmistress. Letters from Holt. ; the delivery of letters and parcels commences 7.10 a.m. & 4.50p.m. (callers only) ; dispatched at 9.30 a.m. & 4.50 p.m. No postal business on sundays. The nearest money order offices are at Baconsthorpe, Edgefield Green & Holt. Baconsthorpe is the nearest telegraph office, 2 miles distant.
The children of this place attend the school in the adjoining parish of Baconsthorpe.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Hamilton, Rev. James Robt. (vicar)
Morgan J.H. - Brownwood
Tatam, Cecil G. - Hempstead hall
COMMERCIAL
Bartell, Frederick - blacksmith
Hagen, Daniel Wm. - farmer, Green Farm
Hagen, John - farmer, The Hole farm
Hardy, Eliza (Mrs.) - farmer & landowner
Harvey, Wiliam - farm bailiff to J. H. Gurney, esq.

Kemp, Adeline (Mrs.) - shopkeeper & sub-postmistress
Scarff, Robert - Hare & Hounds P.H.
Spendlove, James - White Horse P.H.
Tatam, Cecil G. - farmer, Hempstead Hall farm

Kelly's 1916

HEMPSTEAD is a parish about 2 miles south-east from Holt station on the Eastern section of the Midland and Great Northern joint railway, and 11 south-west from Cromer, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred, petty sessional division and county court district, Erpingham Union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconary of Lynn, diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a plain building, and consists of nave, south porch, and a western tower of brick containing one bell ; the stained east window is a memorial, and was inserted in 1876 by the Rev. Charles Louis Rudd M.A. vicar 1873-89, who also presented a carved oak reredos and massive brass lecturn ; in 1915 a memorial window was inserted to Richard Hardy, sometime churchwarden ; there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value £222, with 23 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who are impropriators of the great tithes, and held since 1911 by the Rev. James Robert Hamilton. The vicarage house was erected on the glebe in 1876. The Weslyan_chapel, built in 1895-6, is of local stone and red brick, and will seat 100 persons. The reading room, formerly used as an infants'_school, is a red brick building erected in 1877. John Henry Gurney esq. D.L., J.P. is lord of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall, and Losehall, and the Marquess of Lothian is the chief landowner. The soil is light ; subsoil, mixed. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 1,767 acres of land and 10 of water; rateable value, £1,462 ; the population in 1911 was 259.
Post_Office - Mrs. A. Kemp, sub-postmistress. Letters through Holt. The nearest money order offices are at Baconsthorpe, Edgefield Green & Holt. Baconsthorpe is the nearest telegraph office, 2 miles distant.
The children of this place attend the school in the adjoining parish of Baconsthorpe.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Bagge, Miss - Brownwood
Hamilton, Rev. James Robt. (vicar)
Tatam, Cecil G. - Hempstead hall
COMMERCIAL
Bartell, Frederick - blacksmith
Hagen, Daniel Wm. - farmer, Green Farm
Hagen, John - farmer, The Hole farm
Hardy, Eliza (Mrs.) - farmer & landowner
Harvey, Wiliam - farm bailiff to J. H. Gurney, esq.

Kemp, Adeline (Mrs.) - shopkeeper & sub-postmistress
Riseborough, Sydney Alfred - White Horse P.H.
Scarff, Robert - Hare & Hounds P.H.
Tatam, Cecil G. - farmer, Hempstead Hall farm

Kelly's 1922

HEMPSTEAD is a parish about 2 miles south-east from Holt station on the Eastern section of the Midland and Great Northern joint railway, and 11 south-west from Cromer, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred, petty sessional division and county court district, Erpingham Union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconary of Lynn, diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a plain building, and consists of nave, south porch, and a western tower of brick containing one bell ; the stained east window is a memorial, and was inserted in 1876 by the Rev. Charles Louis Rudd M.A. vicar 1873-89, who also presented a carved oak reredos and massive brass lecturn ; in 1915 a memorial window was inserted to Richard Hardy, sometime churchwarden ; there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value £222, with 23 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who are impropriators of the great tithes, and held since 1925 by the Rev. Paul Rogers Cleave M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. The vicarage house was erected on the glebe in 1876. The Weslyan_chapel, built in 1895-6, is of local stone and red brick, and will seat 100 persons. The reading room, formerly used as an infants'_school, is a red brick building erected in 1877. Gerard Gurney esq. J.P. is lord of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall, and Losehall, and the Marquess of Lothian is the chief landowner. The soil is light ; subsoil, mixed. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 1,767 acres of land and 10 of water; rateable value, £1,692 ; the population in 1921 was 254.
Post_Office - Mrs. A. Kemp, sub-postmistress. Letters through Holt. The nearest money order offices are at Baconsthorpe, Edgefield Green & Holt. Baconsthorpe is the nearest telegraph office, 2 miles distant.
The children of this place attend the school in the adjoining parish of Baconsthorpe.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Cleave, Paul Rogers M.A. (vicar)
Tatam, Cecil G. - Hempstead hall
COMMERCIAL
Bartell, Frederick - blacksmith
Hagen, Daniel Wm. - farmer, Green Farm
Hagen, John - farmer, The Hole & Church farms
Harvey, Wiliam - farm bailiff to G. H. Gurney, esq.
Kemp, Adeline (Mrs.) - shopkeeper & sub-postmistress

Riseborough, Sydney Alfred - White Horse P.H.
Scarff, Robert - Hare & Hounds P.H.
Stearman, Victor - smallhldr. The Pines
Tatam, Cecil G. - farmer, Hempstead Hall farm

Kelly's 1925

HEMPSTEAD is a parish about 2 miles south-east from Holt station on the Eastern section of the Midland and Great Northern joint railway, and 11 south-west from Cromer, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred, petty sessional division and county court district, Erpingham Union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconary of Lynn, diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a plain building, and consists of nave, south porch, and a western tower of brick containing one bell ; the stained east window is a memorial, and was inserted in 1876 by the Rev. Charles Louis Rudd M.A. vicar 1873-89, who also presented a carved oak reredos and massive brass lecturn ; in 1915 a memorial window was inserted to Richard Hardy, sometime churchwarden ; there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value £248, with 23 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who are impropriators of the great tithes, and held since 1925 by the Rev. Paul Rogers Cleave M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. The vicarage house was erected on the glebe in 1876. The Weslyan_chapel, built in 1895-6, is of local stone and red brick, and will seat 100 persons. The reading room, formerly used as an infants'_school, is a red brick building erected in 1877. Gerard Gurney esq. J.P. is lord of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall, and Losehall, and the Marquess of Lothian is the chief landowner. The soil is light ; subsoil, mixed. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 1,767 acres of land and 10 of water; rateable value, £1,692 ; the population in 1921 was 254.
Post_Office - Letters through Holt. Baconsthorpe is the nearest M. O. office & Holt the nearest T. office.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Cleave, Rev. Paul Rogers M.A. (vicar)
Polding, Thomas - Brownwood
Reeve, Mrs.
Tatam, Cecil G. - Hempstead hall
COMMERCIAL
Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over
Collier, Edward Adamson - Beech farm
English, Fredk. - blacksmith
Gooch, Geo. Albt. - farm bailiff to G. H. Gurney esq. J.P.
° Hagen, Daniel William - farmer, Green Farm

° Hagen, John - farmer, The Hole & Church farms
Riseborough, Sydney Alfred - White Horse P.H.
Scarff, Robert - Hare & Hounds P.H.
Tatam, Cecil G. - farmer, Hempstead Hall farm

Kelly's 1929

HEMPSTEAD is a parish about 2 miles south-east from Holt station on the Eastern section of the Midland and Great Northern joint railway, and 11 south-west from Cromer, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred, petty sessional division and county court district, Erpingham Union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconary of Lynn, diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a plain building, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch, and a western tower of brick containing one bell ; the chancel, which is of flint with brick facings, and which has a thatched roof, was erected in 1930 by public subscription ; the late Sir Alfred Jodrell bart. D.L., J.P. contruting largely to the cost ; the stained east window is a memorial, and was inserted in 1876 by the Rev. Charles Louis Rudd M.A. vicar 1873-89, who also presented a carved oak reredos and massive brass lecturn ; in 1915 a memorial window was inserted to Richard Hardy, sometime churchwarden ; there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value £248, with 23 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who are impropriators of the great tithes, and held since 1933 by the Rev. Alfred Millington Anden M.A. of Selwyn College, Cambridge.. The vicarage house was erected on the glebe in 1876. The Methodist_chapel, built in 1895-6, is of local stone and red brick, and will seat 100 persons. The reading room, formerly used as an infants'_school, is a red brick building erected in 1877. Gerard Gurney esq. J.P. is lord of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall, and Losehall, and the Marquess of Lothian C.H. is the chief landowner. The soil is light ; subsoil, mixed. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 1,767 acres of land and 10 of water; rateable value, £1,692 ; the population in 1921 was 254.
Post_Tel._Call_Office Letters through Holt, nearest
M. O. & T. office.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book) Auden, Rev. Alfred Millington M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
Mallett, Sydney Jn. - Hempstead hall
Mee, Capt. John Theodore Martin - Hempstead lodge
Polding, Thomas - Brownwood
COMMERCIAL
Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over
Cole, Elijah - gamekeeper to Geo. L. Ross esq. Selbrigg ho
Dann, Bertie Rt. - carpntr. Court grn
English, Fredk. - blacksmith
° Hagen, Daniel William - farmer & breeder of British Friesians, Green & Red House farms. T N Holt 88
° Hagen, John - farmer, The Hole & Church farms
° Mallett, Sydney Jn. - farmer, Hempstead hall T N Holt 48

Mee, Capt. John Theodore Martin - poultry farmer ; pedigree Light Sussex & Buff Leghorns ; also commercial, Hempstead lodge. T N Holt 100
Riseborough, Sydney Alfred - White Horse P.H.
Roy, Albt. J. - dairyman, The Forge
Scarff, Saml. - Hare & Hounds P.H.
Starling, Frank - gamekeeper to R. Deterding esq

Kelly's 1933

HEMPSTEAD is a parish about 2 miles south-east from Holt station on the Eastern section of the Midland and Great Northern joint railway, and 11 south-west from Cromer, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred, petty sessional division and county court district, Erpingham Union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconary of Lynn, diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a plain building, and consists of nave, south porch, and a western tower of brick containing one bell ; the chancel, which is of flint with brick facings, and which has a thatched roof, was erected in 1930 ; the late Sir Alfred Jodrell 4th and last bart. D.L., J.P. (d. 1929) contributing largely to the cost ; the stained east window is a memorial, and was inserted in 1876 by the Rev. Charles Louis Rudd M.A. vicar 1873-89, who also presented a carved oak reredos and massive brass lecturn ; in 1915 a memorial window was inserted to Richard Hardy, sometime churchwarden ; there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value £248, with 23 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who are impropriators of the great tithes, and held since 1933 by the Rev. Alfred Millington Anden M.A. of Selwyn College, Cambridge. The vicarage house was erected on the glebe in 1876. The Methodist_chapel, built in 1895-6, is of local stone and red brick, and will seat 100 persons. The reading room, formerly used as an infants'_school, is a red brick building erected in 1877. The trustees of the late Gerard Gurney esq. J.P. are lords of the manors of Hempstead, Netheran, and Losehall, and together with the Litcol Estates Ltd. are the chief landowners. The soil is light ; subsoil, mixed. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 1,767 acres of land and 10 of water; rateable value, £1,692 ; the population in 1931 was 216.
Post_&_Tel._Call_Office - Letters through Holt. Baconsthorpe the nearest M. O. & Holt nearest T. office.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book) Auden, Rev. Alfred Millington M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
Mee, Capt. John Theodore Martin - Hempstead lodge
Polding, Thomas - Brownwood.
Seaman, John George - Becketts farm
COMMERCIAL
Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over
Boldero, Louis - farm bailiff to Viscount Rothermere P.C. Hole farm, Matlaske 20
Cole, Elijah - gamekeeper to Geo. L. Ross esq. Selbrigg ho
Daniels, Frank - gamekeeper to Viscount Rothermere P.C. Pond Holes
Dann, Bertie Edwin - travelling grocer, Court grn
Dann, Bertie Rt. - carpntr. Court grn
English, Fredk. - blacksmith

Hagen Danl. Rodger, poultry breeder, Green farm
° Hagen, Daniel William - farmer, Green, Red House & Church frms. Holt 88

Hare & Hounds P.H.
(Saml. Scarff)
° Mack, Rd. Hy. - farmer, Hempstead hall Holt 111
Roy, Albt. J. - dairyman, The Forge
° Seaman, Sydney Geo. - farmer, Beckett's farm
White Horse P.H. (Sydney A. Riseborough)
Yarham, Christphr. Geo. - gamekeeper to G. L. Ross esq.

Kelly's 1937

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. Please or telephone 07836 675369

Website copyright © Jonathan Neville 2020
Top of Page

,