sign Hempstead

Contacts
Wildlife



Village History
Vicarage
Farms
Long Sal
Marlpit Lane
Lose & Nether Halls
Forge
Selbrigg
Chapel Lane
The Street

Marlpit Lane
7th November 2021
Marlpit Lane - 7th November 2021

Marlpit Lane runs northwest from School Lane that leads to Baconsthorpe, before turning further west to join Pond Hills Road at the crossroads with The Street and Clamp Lane at the southern end of the village.

Back Lane, which is now no more than a farm track runs north to connect Marlpit Lane with Chapel Lane.

6th November 2021 6th November 2021
Marlpit Lane's eastern junction with School Lane - 6th November 2021
Marlpit Lane at its western junction with Pond Hills Road - 6th November 2021

6th November 2021
Clamp Lane was a continuation of Marlpit Lane until it was destroyed when its hedges crossing the field visible in the distance were removed by David Johnson in the 1960s
6th November 2021

Adrian Sewell, his father, David Durst at Marlpits - 1979 The Marlpits - 6th November 2021
left to right - Adrian Sewell, his father, David Durst at Marlpits - 1979
The Marlpits - 6th November 2021

Potato Harvest c.1972 c.1975
Potato Harvest on the field behind Marlpits - c.1972
The Ford 3000 tractor was owned by A.V. Youngs Farms Ltd of Baconsthorpe
and the pickers were almost certainly The Grand Gang from Edgefield
Barley harvest on the field behind Pine Farm - c.1975
Ford 3000 tractor, Richard Youngs standing, Ransomes combine

Back Lane north junction 8Nov2021 Back Lane south junction looking north towards Chapel - 6th November 2021
Back Lane north junction looking south towards Marlpit Lane - 8th November 2021
Back Lane south junction looking north towards Chapel Lane - 6th November 2021

Back Lane - 25th December 2020 Back Lane - 9th November 2021
Back Lane - 25th December 2020
Back Lane - 9th November 2021

Back Lane looking south towards Marlpit Lane - 1979 Back Lane south junction looking north towards Chapel Lane - 1979
Back Lane looking south towards Marlpit Lane - 1979
Back Lane south junction looking north towards Chapel Lane - 1979

Marlpit Lane looking west with Pine Farm down to the left - 1979 Marlpit Lane looking east with the New Bullock Barn in the distance - 1979
Marlpit Lane looking west with Pine Farm down to the left - 1979
Marlpit Lane looking east with the New Bullock Barn in the distance - 1979

The New Bullock Barn was built in the 1930s but was falling into disrepair by 1979 and after the Carver family took over Hole Farm in 1982, the barn was dismantled to prevent further theft of roof tiles and bricks etc.


Faden's map 1797
More properties are shown at the western end of Marlpit Lane than are shown on the 1885, 1950
and present day maps

O. S. Map 1950
O. S. Map 1950
Marlpit Lane runs between the two red dots - the big marl pit can be seen in the Y of the junction with Back Lane, with a smaller pit just to its northwest
behind what is now Tinkers Cottage and a third pit to the west of the lane in the field

Courtesy of NLS map images

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. Please or telephone 07836 675369

Website copyright © Jonathan Neville 2021
Top of Page