sign Hempstead

Contacts
Wildlife



Village History
 
Vicarage
Farms
Chapel Lane
Marlpit Lane
Social Events
Lose & Nether Halls
Forge
Selbrigg
Long Sal
The Street
Village Families

The Street
26th January 2018
The Old White Horse in the foreground with the Old Forge beyond
White Horse Cottages centre right with Garwood House to their left
26th January 2018

The Street starts at the junction with the Holt to Baconsthorpe Road at the top of Court_Green, then runs southeast to White Horse Cottages before turning south all the way to through the village to the junction with Marlpit Lane where it becomes Pond Hills Road.


White Horse Cottages with the Old White Horse pub sign post to the left - c.1974 White Horse Cottages - 22nd June 2021
White Horse Cottages with the Old White Horse pub sign post to the left - c.1974
White Horse Cottages - 22nd June 2021

Village Hall - 8th November 2021
Village Hall - 8th November 2021

1935 1935
Church Cottages - c.1935
Southern Church Cottage decked out for King George V's Silver Jubilee in 1935 - note the W. I. cup in the window

Looking west from Chapel Lane to Church Cottages on The Street - c.1974 Church Cottages - 19th October 2017
Looking west from Chapel Lane to Church Cottages on The Street - c.1974
Church Cottages with the parking area on the green bottom right - 19th October 2017

1979
Claudine & Ray Fuller getting milk from a churn left by a farmer in front of
Middle Cottage with the old Post Office just beyond - 1979

Village Van on the parking area during Covid lockdown - 1st May 2020 Church Cottages with the old Post Office to their right - 17th May 2020
Village Van on the parking area during Covid lockdown - 1st May 2020
Church Cottages with the old Post Office to their right - 17th May 2020

c.1975 9th November 2021
Looking south towards the junction with
Marlpit Lane and Pond Hills Road - c.1975
Looking south towards the junction with
Marlpit Lane and Pond Hills Road - 9th Nov 2021

c.1974 c.1975
Looking north with Church Cottages ahead, The Lodge wall to the right and
the Vicarage to the left - c.1974
Long gone pond near the entrance to Juniper Lodge - c.1975

Captain John T. M. Mee - c.1936 c.1950
Captain John T. M. Mee - c.1936
Don Foreman in front of The Lodge holding Arrogant Anne,
an ex racehorse belonging to Elizabeth Hagen - c.1950

Cpt. John Theodore Martin Mee lived at The Lodge during the 1930s. He was a poultry farmer and bred pedigree Light Sussex & Buff Leghorns. Cpt. Mee was married to Marianne (née Francis).


When Cpt. Mee left The Lodge, a Mrs. Hotblack lived there, then Don Foreman, followed by John Parker and his family, before Paul Loach moved in.


The Street
Clamp Lane to the left; Marlpit Lane to the right, the Street ahead
and Pond Hills Road nearest the camera - 6th November 2021

6th November 2021 6th November 2021
Clamp Lane running west from the crossroads
6th November 2021
Marlpit Lane running east from the crossroads
6th November 2021

RAF aerial photo of 1946
RAF aerial photo of 1946 - showing the full length of Clamp Lane before its western section was bulldozed by David Johnson in the 1960s

O. S. Map 1885
O. S. Map 1885
The Street runs from Court (Hempstead) Green in the north to Marlpit Lane in the south marked with the red dots
Courtesy of NLS map images

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. Please or telephone 07836 675369

Website copyright © Jonathan Neville 2021
Top of Page