sign Hempstead

Contacts
Wildlife



Village History
 
Vicarage
Farms
Chapel Lane
Marlpit Lane
Social Events
Lose & Nether Halls
Forge
Selbrigg
Long Sal
The Street
Village Families

Pond Hills Road

Pond Hills Road - 8th November 2021
Pond Hills Road - 8th November 2021

Pond Hills Road starts as a continuation of The_Street at the crossroads with Clamp Lane and Marlpit_Lane. It then runs slightly to the southwest through the woods to the Edgefield Road. The single track road winds through a series of blind corners and hills and is one of the most picturesesque roads in North Norfolk.


Up until c.1970, when the farms were split up, the buildings on Pond Hills Road consisted of Church_Farm at the northern end, along with its barns and tithe cottages (nos. 41 & 42 Pond Hills) and Brownwood_Farm with its barns at the southern end. All these buildings stood on the western side of the road and only the Ponds Hills gamekeepers' cottages stood on the eastern side.


Pond Hills Road's southern junction with Edgefield Road - 6th November 2021
Pond Hills Road's north junction with Marlpit Lane - 6th November 2021
Pond Hills Road's southern junction with Edgefield Road - 6th November 2021
Pond Hills Road's north junction with Marlpit Lane - 6th November 2021

6th November 2021
Clamp Lane running west from the crossroads
6th November 2021

RAF aerial photo of 1946
RAF aerial photo of 1946 - showing the full length of Clamp Lane before its western section was bulldozed by David Johnson in the 1960s

Marlpit Cottages c.1965 Marlpit Cottages c.1965
Nos 41 & 42, Pond Hills Cottages prior to conversion into the single dwelling Orchid Cottage - c.1965

Marlpit Cottages c.1965
Nos 41 & 42, Pond Hills Cottages with Church Farm Barn beyond - c.1965

O. S. Map 1885
O. S. Map 1885
Courtesy of NLS map images

A large marlpit was worked on the west side of Pond Hills Road just to the south of Brownwood and had its own track from the road. The pit has now been partially filled and the track fell into disrepair many years ago after Mrs. Joan Watson-Cook, the then owner of Brownwood refused to allow the farmer to remove one of the track's hedges to accommodate wide farm machinery.


c.1932
Marl pit track entrance looking from Pond Hills Road - c.1932

Marl pit track entrance onto Pond Hills Road - 6th November 2021
Disused marl pit track - 6th November 2021
Marl pit track entrance onto Pond Hills Road - 6th November 2021
Disused marl pit track - 6th November 2021

c.1910
30th April 202
Pond Hills Road looking north - c.1910
Pond Hills Road looking north - 30th April 2020

c.1910
c.1975
An island in the pond and leanto sections at either end of the two cottages - c.1910
Two porches on the cottages and a well - c.1975

1st May 2020
1st May 2020
No island, a garage on the west end and an additional section
on the east end to replace the leanto - 1st May 2020
1st May 2020

Pond Hills c.1940
2nd May 2020
left to right - Flossie the goat; David Watson-Cook;
Mrs. Joan Watson-Cook; Tiger the dog;
Diana Watson-Cook (later Diana Spalton),
1940
Pond Hills Road looking north - 2nd May 2020
Apparently, people tended to be frightened of Tiger the dog but Tiger was very loving.
It was in fact Flossie the goat who would lay into unsuspecting passers by and butt them with her horns.

c.1975
8th November 2021
Money's Field on the north side of Pond Hills Road, with Money's Grove to the left
c.1975
Money's Field with the original gatepost still in situ
8th November 2021

Pond Hills Road - 8th November 2021
Pond Hills Road - 8th November 2021
Pond Hills Road - 8th November 2021

O. S. Map 1905
O. S. Map 1905
Pond Hills Road takes over from The Street at their junction with Marlpit Lane and continues south to its junction with the Edgefield Road
A red dot marks either end of the road

Courtesy of NLS map images


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. Please or telephone 07836 675369

Website copyright © Jonathan Neville 2021
Top of Page