sign Hempstead




Village History

Garwood House
what3words location - ///backpack.corporate.battling


Garwood House was built between 1728 and 1750, the latter date being when it was first noted on a map.

Garwood House was named after Humphrey Garwood, whose story appears below -

In Parson Woodforde's Norfolk Diaries there appears the sad story of his maidservant Sukey of whom he was particularly fond. Unfortunately, in August 1776 she had to confess to her employer that she was pregnant by one “Humphrey”. Though Parson Woodforde may well have suspected his unattractive nephew Bill (whom he sent away from the house shortly afterwards) there was no forced marriage to the father.

Parson Woodforde christened the bastard son Thomas on November 23rd. Sukey had left at Michaelmas and Parson Woodforde enthusiasts wondered for years what had become of her.

In the Autumn 1993 Parson Woodforde Society Quarterly Journal there was great rejoicing when research “by our young contributor Robert Miller Bates .,. has succeeded in pulling off a rare scoop”. Sukey's name was Susannah Boxley or Bucksley who married and had children by one Humphry “Garrod” or “Gerrard” of the neighbouring parish of Lyng, The Humphrey in question appears elsewhere in the Diaries as a servant of a close neighbour. Strong circumstantial evidence therefore exists to show that Sukey duly married her former lover and by him had four further children born at Lyng. Humphrey was by then a man of some substance since his property was valued at £45 for rating purposes. He was last mentioned in 1812.

In 1830 Humphrey Garwood, of Hempstead, Farmer made his will, from the contents of which it is clear that he was the same Humphrey Garwood formerly of Lyng. It is clear that at some time between 1812 and 1829 the Garwood family had moved from Lyng to Hempstead.

Sukey died first, in 1831 and was buried in Baconsthorpe. Her widower Humphrey died in 1833.
In 1829 George Garwood, bachelor of Hempstead, Farmer and second son of Sukey and Humphrey took out a marriage licence and married Frances Skinner of Oulton.

It was George who continued with the farming until he died in 1844 aged 58. He is buried at Baconsthorpe described as “late of Hempstead”. In the 1851 Census, Frances Garwood, his widow, is shown as farming 151 acres, employing 6 Labourers and 2 boys. She continued to farm appearing in Whites Norfolk Directory for Hempstead as “Mrs Frances Garwood Farmer'' and dying in 1869. It was after her death that Becketts Farm was sold.

On the 1841 Tithe Map, George Garwood was shown as owning and farming a large acreage in the Parish including what is now Becketts Farm, At that time what is now Garwood House was occupied by “Thomas Pells and others'' who may have been agricultural workers. It would seem likely that the Garwood family moved to Garwood House after they sold to Becketts Farm in 1869 or shortly afterwards.

A second George Garwood (probably the son of William, George's elder brother and Executor) died on May 7th 1904 aged 73 while Frances Garwood (George's unmarried sister) died in 1911 aged 76. This George died intestate and Walter William Garwood his brother was admitted to the property in 1909. Walter died in 1920, leaving a son George Rix Garwood who lived at Bradenham and a daughter Florence Mary Garwood. Walter's executors George and Florence sold Garwood House in 1920 since when there have been several owners.
Hempstead, A Norfolk Village - Robin Carver, 2000


Owners
c.1825
Humphrey Garwood - died in 1833
1833
George Garwood - died in 1844 - house occupied by Thomas Pells and others
1844
Frances Garwood - died in 1869 Census 1861
1869
George Garwood - died in 1904
1904
possibly Executors of George Garwood
1909
Walter William Garwood - died in 1920
1920
1920 - Violet Marler Miriam Wight bought it tenanted for £185 (the house then being subdivided into 3 cottages)
1924
Violet Wight sold to Albert James Roy (described as “smallholder'', “milkman'' “Farrier'' and ''Farmer'' on different occasions. He lived at The Forge in 1937)
1935

Albert Roy bought out the ''Manorial Incidents'' from Gerard Gurney's executors for £13-9s-6d. Albert Roy had restored the house and christened it “Garwood House”.

1959
Albert Roy sold to John Herbert Rawlins
1960
John Rawlins sold to William James Aldiss
1963 William Aldiss sold to Arthur John Patchett
1980 Arthur Patchett sold to Janet Dean Darke
1980

Janet Darke sold to Thomas Michael Williams and Maureen Patricia Williams


O. S. Map 1885
O. S. Map 1885
Garwood House shown as being split into 3 cottages
Courtesy of NLS map images

O. S. Map 1950
O. S. Map 1950
Garwood House shown as being a single dwelling
Courtesy of NLS map images

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. Please or telephone 07836 675369

Website copyright © Jonathan Neville 2021
Top of Page